The Ressurection

The years had passed by her like a light breeze. Bai Fengjiu noticed the years less so now than she used to. She hadn't seen her Gugu in over two hundred years and as for the man she dared not think of, even longer.

She had been crowned when Ye Hua had died. She had always felt the weight of the debt she had to him for stealing the soul gathering lamp for Mo Yuan, even though it had been that exact lamp that brought him back in the end. So, she had taken the crown, not just for the debt she owed him, but also her filiality to her Gugu.

Bai Fengjiu had never seen someone as heartbroken as her Gugu. She had gone mad with rage, isolating herself in the mortal realm with fourth Uncle. She wondered if it was harder for your love to perish, or to know that he was alive, but never able to be with you. She hid her heartbreak well, wore it like an armour around her heart. Foxtails love for life, and she was no exception.

She had settled into her role rather well. But part of her mourned the mischievous girl she used to be, back when she had snuck into the halls of Taicheng Palace to repay her debt, or when she had disobeyed her father and gone to the mortal realm. As the years had gone on, she had found herself pondering on these times less and less. Si Ming had stopped visiting and her life had become a steady beating drum of authority.

However, this steady percussion was interrupted one day, when Migu came dashing into the Fox Den.
"Little Jiu, you have to come now! There is activity at Ye Hua's tomb!" He called to her. She immediately stood, When she had gone to Mo Yuan, wanting to save her Gugu from a life of misery, he had been skeptical.
"You are so young, and you are fated to love another." He told her and she sighed.
"I am a Foxtail, I will never love another." She responded and he sighed. He knew the stubbornness of her family from years of experience with Seventeen. If she was going to do this, he would help her.
"I know how to summon fate for you."

She had stood and looked at her name, next to that of a man she had never met.
"I am sorry. I hope fate will find you another match." She told him, taking the mystical knife to the stone. She wept as she scratched her name from the three lives rock, fating herself to never love. But that was the deal she had made, her love in sacrifice for her Ye Hua. It was a price she was willing to pay. She knew she could never love the man she was fated to be with, because Dong Hua Dijun had stepped in the way of her fate, altering her forever.

Mo Yuan told her to wait after she made the sacrifice. She had expected him to council her on her decision, but he seemed to know he could not sway her. For a hundred years she had continued, jilted in heartbreak, and thinking that she had sacrificed for nothing. But now that there was activity at the tomb, she felt her soul come alive with purpose.

Si Ming had never been happier than when the little princess, now little queen, had caused trouble around Taicheng Palace. Ever since she had left, it had been rather boring. Everyday, he would write his fates, sip tea with Dijun and then they would take a walk to look at the lilies. It had been hard at first, watching how Dong Hua ached, not only from losing his essence, but also from losing his love. The day her godly trial had come and she had become a high Goddess, he saw pride in the Dijun's eyes. But that quickly was replaced with indifference.

Si Ming was sure Dong Hua believed that the little princess was the one depleting his energy. But Si Ming had a feeling that he was wrong about all of it. He had left the mortal world too early because of his deep love for her and Si Ming had an intuition that she had a role to play in his replenishment.

It was an average afternoon in the palace when Zhe Yan came crashing into the main hall.
"You must come with me now." He ordered. Si Ming raised his eyebrows, waiting for Dong Hua's reaction and how he would punish such rudeness. But, to his surprise, he stood and nodded.
"Take us." He ordered Zhe Yan. Si Ming was confused as he followed Dong Hua. It seemed that he was privy to some information that Si Ming lacked. But all of his thoughts fell silent when he saw Dong Hua's stride stunted. He followed his line of sight and saw her, the little princess, looking exactly as she had the day she had entered the palace, pink dress, nervous as a newborn bird. He was sure this was the last place she had wanted to come, after the Dijun had rejected her so finally.