12 - What Could Be

"Are you alright, Kira? You seem tired this morning."

Kira looked up at her mother's question at breakfast, noticing that both she and Marko were staring at her. "I... yes, I'm fine. I just didn't sleep much," she answered, in her mind reliving the heat of Drev's lips on hers, his hands exploring her body, the way his eyes had burned bright as he'd released himself deep inside her...

Kira pushed her plate away, not finished but too distracted to eat anymore.

Her mother frowned at her. "Are you sure you're not falling ill or something?"

"I'm fine, really." She was sleep-starved and exhausted from yesterday, and yet, all she could think about was the next time she could go back and be in Drev's arms again. Until either of them could figure out a way for him to come live in Litur Cas without inviting everyone's hatred and anger, they would not be able to be together.

"I'm done too," Marko announced. "Thank you for the food, Mama Berma," he said with a smile, and her mother beamed. He got to his feet, starting to gather the plates, but her mother stopped him.

"Please! I can do that! I know you have a lot to do so you go on ahead."

"Alright, alright," he relented, raising his hands in surrender. "Yes, I'm going to go see Shay and Father and then make my usual rounds."

"You see them every day, don't you? You've such a good heart, Marko."

"I try to," he murmured, looking a little embarrassed. "Anyway, I'll see you both later," he said, moving towards the door.

"Wait, Kira, why don't you go with him?"

"Huh?" she went, drawn from her thoughts.

"A walk and fresh air might do you some good."

"No, I'm fine, really. Besides, I should help you wash up - "

"Don't be silly. I can manage this. You go on." She came over and pulled Kira to her feet, practically pushing her out the door with Marko.

Afterwards, Kira and Marko stood outside, exchanging a look. "You don't have to come with me if you don't want to," he said dryly.

"It's alright. Maybe a little exercise wouldn't be such a bad idea," She fell into step beside him as they headed towards the cemetery together. As they walked, there were the usual greetings from the villagers, but also, cheeky smiles at the sight of the pair of them.

At one point, Kira spotted her friends from The Five walking together and carrying laundry, and Derri nodded at Kira as if in approval.

All we're doing is taking a walk. Why are people getting so excited about this?

Afterwards in the cemetery, Kira hung back a bit while Marko said his prayers for both his late sister and father. Her heart went out to him more than ever in that moment. Here was a man who had lost his entire family but somehow, he was always smiling, always took the time to listen to people and to try and help wherever he could.

She could see why her mother (and just about everyone in the village) adored him. Once, Kira might have been jealous over that sort of thing, but the truth was, she was glad someone had been there for her mother in her absence, had helped to keep her from falling apart.

In a way, that was what Drev was to me in my time in the mounts. But now? Now that everything's changed, does that mean what we had is gone?

She snapped out of her thoughts as Marko ambled up to her on his long legs, his hands sitting in his pockets. "They're already waiting," he remarked, looking past her at something.