Book Nine: kindness?

Lavender's viewpoint

   You wanna know what I hate most in my entire life? My kindness. The next day, I didn't say a word, not even to my children. I wasn't in the mood so I could vent my anger on them. When we got to work, I found out my new office was in his so I'd have to see his face everyday. Now, back to the kindness part.

   Remember when he slipped in his office bathroom? I tried to ignore the fact that he was in severe pain since he woke up, but the more I tried, the more tears threatened to spill. I knew it was my fault he fell like that. What if he dies? How would my kids live with it? That's it again, worrying for my children's heart. He was currently trying to stand but his body wasn't responding. I knew he was trying to play it cool so I won't know, but he didn't think I was that dumb, did he? I kept glancing at him, even though I was working.

   I jerked to my feet with shock when he collapsed on the ground, dragging his computer along with him. I ran over to him in panic. Luckily, the computer missed his head. "Oh my goodness, are you ok... Forget that question, you are not. Come on," I grabbed his hand and made to yank him up but the scream he let out made me pause. I took in a deep breath, knelt down and placed my hand under his body. I carefully lifted him up to his feet and let him lean all his weight on me.

   I helped him walk over to the sofa. I dropped him on it and helped him lay down. "You know, I hate my kindness more than I hate you. Just sit here and don't move... Not that you can but you know what I mean. I'll be right back."

   "I'll be..."

   "Shut up." I deadpanned. I ran to his table first, took his car key and then went to mine, grabbed my wallet and rushed out. There was a pharmacy not too far from the company. I drove there, bought what I needed and returned. I ignored the people looking at me when I stepped out of the car with the polythene bag. Sure, why would I be driving my boss's car?

   "Lavender?" I heard my name as I was running. I stopped and turned around. It was my new office friend, Giovanna. Micah was with her. "Are you alright?"

   "Yeah, boss sent me on an errand," I said, lifting the bag so she would see, "gotta go, won't be down for lunch," I continued running. "Say hi to August for me!" I shouted. I ran into Paxton. He caught me in time by holding my shoulders.

   "Whoa, Cheetah, halt for a second..."

   "Can't, emergency," I rushed to the worker's elevator. "Hey, can you bring a block of ice to the office like right now?!" I shouted.

   "Block of ices?"

   "Yes, honey, now!" I shouted before the doors closed. When I got back to the office, he was back at his table with someone who was checking his computer. I placed my hands at the back of my waist with the bag still in my hand. "Mr Verlice, I can swear I told you to sit down and rest?" He raised his head, along with the guy. He smiled innocently. "Don't smile."

   "I called the technician to see if the computer is broken, is it?" He looked back at the guy and frowned. I looked at the guy too to see why Nic was frowning. The guy's mouth was open as he stared at me. I snapped my fingers.

   "I am not a computer, mind your work." His cheeks tinted pink before he glanced at his boss and looked back at the computer sheepishly.

   "So far, nothing is off, the computer is fine."

   "Okay, you can leave." He nodded. I ignored the guy and walked over to the water dispenser to get him warm water to drink. I used the glass cup to get the water and went to him. I dropped the cup and the bag on the table before removing the ointment for massaging and the drugs.