Chapter Nine

*See, I promised more frequent updates. Yay! Rosia off to the side :)

Chapter Nine

(Garrett POV)

Staring out across the valley, I couldn’t help but stare in shock. We were cresting the last hill before the road descended into the village and I was once again struck by the difference of this place. The dawning sun glared brightly over the mountains, shining golden light upon the deep green of the trees, before reflecting off the nearby lake. The water was clear and calm, the only waves created by the slow moving boats of fishermen tossing nets into the water.

There was nothing but green as far as the eye could see. I’d never seen so much land untouched by man. The air was clear and fresh, no smog to clog up the senses or dull the mind. It was quiet as well; quiet for me at least. Sure, there was noise, but only the sounds of men, not machines. I could hear the laughter of children playing in the sun, the calls of the fishermen on the boats echoing across the water, and the sounds of livestock, calling for their breakfast.

It was beautiful.

I was jolted out of my wonder by the jerk of the carriage stopping. Turning, I looked at Mychael and once again caught him stretching. I stared for a moment, remembering the feel of him against me just hours ago. We’d been traveling mostly in silence, both of us lost in our own thoughts. I didn’t know whether to feel awkward or not; mostly just confused.

Distracted by my thoughts, I didn’t see Mychael climb down and at the sounds of murmured voice, jumped up to follow him. I found him and Rosia talking quietly, but at my approach, she stopped and stared at me.

“Show me the marks,” she demanded; her face tense with an unknown emotion.

I bristled momentarily at the order, but feeling a hand on my arm, I relaxed and glanced over at Mychael who withdrew his hand immediately. My arm suddenly felt cold without his touch and I forced myself not to reach for his hand to place it back on me.

I looked towards the road and seeing that we were hidden from view by the carriage, loosened the clasp of my cloak. Sliding it off my shoulders, I draped it on the step of the carriage door.

Before I could show her my back, a gasp and a strangled sound of denial made me whirl around, staff in hand and raised as I searched for danger. Seeing nothing, I looked at Rosia in question. She was staring at my arm with shock, one hand over her mouth, muffling the words she was whispering.

Mychael looked from her to me, confusion clear upon his face. I was sure that my face held the same look as I eyed Rosia warily.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” I asked her, feeling irritated and nervous at the same time. I hoped she wasn’t going to start screaming more accusations like she had done at the sight of my fangs. Mychael looked worried as she continued to stare and whimper, shaking her head now in obvious denial.

Mychael walked in front of her, breaking her gaze from me and forcing her to focus on him. He held her hands and I could see her begin to relax, shoulders sagging as the tension left her. I saw Mychael stiffen for a moment before he too relaxed. I had the suspicion that he had just drawn her anxiety into him using his empathetic abilities. I still didn’t know how that worked, but was kind of glad he couldn’t feel me that way. I didn’t want him to know how conflicted I was about my feelings for him or for him to realize how deep my fear of what was happening to me went.

Keeping one hand on hers, Mychael stepped aside and asked her to explain herself. She flinched for a second when she saw me again, but took a deep breath and walked forward. Her free hand lifted and after hesitating momentarily began to trace the symbols etched into my skin among the vibrant vines and leaves wrapped around my arm. She was muttering to herself and as soon as she reached the last symbol, she closed her eyes, her grip tight on my wrist.