Chapter 3

For the first time in a long time, a dream came to me. I was surrounded by a forest. Trees of every kind everywhere I looked. I heard an owl hoot and the sound of the wind as it rustled the tree leaves. My hair lifted and wove through the breeze. I heard a rustle to my left, causing me to tense.

I turned quickly and narrowed my eyes. "Who's there?" I asked into the trees. Again, rustles. And then it came out. I was never sure what it was. I doubt I ever will. It was a weird creature.

When it stepped out of the shadows, I couldn't really see it's face, but it's body had the structure of a wolf.

"Who're you?" I asked the creature.

"I have no name," It said. It's voice was deep and melodic. I just wanted to get lost in it, but I refused to. "Lily Rotella, you already know that Zoey Redbird is different, do you not."

"You know about her?" My voice showed my shock. Just who, no, I mean what, was this thing?

"She is extraordinary. No matter what happens, you must stand by her."

"Stand by her? So I'm supposed to be friends with her." I actually already guessed the answer, but I didn't know if I liked the idea or not.

"Precisely. Zoey is different, as some can tell instantly just by looking at her, yet she has no idea how. It's not just that her mark is filled in, but there's more to it than that."

I placed my hands on my hips and closed my eyes. Somehow I knew this thing was right. "All right. Guess I will."

"Good. Maybe something good will happen now that you can protect her." The figure retreating back into the trees before I could say anything else. It left me wondering a few things, like protect her from what and why? I would've gone after the creature, but my surroundings started to go blurry and fade.

                                                            ****************************************

When I opened my eyes, my mind was a little fuzzy from the dream.