Chapter 2

I realize that I didn't make my first chapter so good and descriptive like a real writer would, so I will try to make this chapter better. I hope I succeed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wake to the sound of a door slamming shut.

What the hell...? I thought as my eyes opened slowly. By my bed is Karen wearing a bright orange t-shirt and her old blue jeans. On her shirt was the Fourth Former symbol.

"Get the heck out of bed, Lily," She snapped. "We've got to go to class."

"Why?" I moaned as I rolled over.

"Uh, duh! Because we need to learn! Are you stupid or something?"

“Hey! I'm not stupid!" I shot at her.

 "Then get up and change. You just might miss breakfast."

"Ugh, I don't want to..."

"You have to. There's no way in hell you're skipping out today," Karen said. "Are you jealous of the new girl?"

I shot straight up at that. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?! Why the hell would I be jealous of her!" I immediately regretted sitting up so fast. My head started throbbing.

"Hey, I'm just kidding. I know you're not the jealous kind. But girl, you don't look so good. Are you okay?"

“Yeah, just fine," I lied. The truth was, I felt terrible. No way could I leave the dorm like that. The adult vampyres would sense something was wrong. But how was I supposed to get out of classes?

"Yeah, right. Last time you said that you passed out in class and we thought your body was rejecting the Change. You scared the crap out of us. Stay here for today and rest. I'll tell the professors why you're not coming to class."

Before I could respond, she left.

What am I supposed to do now? I wondered as I continued to just sit there. I looked around for something to do. The bed next to mine was clean and made, like it always was. It had been like that ever since my roommate had died. Her name was Yumi Long. She had been a Fourth Former like me, and we had classes together. She had died in class one day. I remembered every detail.

"Now, who knows how to cast the spell...," Professor Anastasia had started when she was interrupted by a sudden noise. It was kind of like a gurgle sound. It came from behind me. I knew instantly what it was, and horror washed over me before I even looked.

When I turned, I saw Yumi kneeling on the floor, coughing up blood. The cough was horrible and disconcerting. The blood ran down her face and onto her shirt; her face had become extremely pale. The coughing increased and she collapsed fully onto the ground.

I quickly got out of my seat and went to her side while the other fledglings sat there petrified. "Yumi, can you hear me?" I whispered to her.

She nodded.

"Don't worry, everything's gonna be just fine," I comforted her, although I knew nothing was going to be fine. She was going to die. Her body had been rejecting the Change. We all knew it. We just couldn't believe that it was happening. Especially that day. The day she rejected the Change was her sixteenth birthday.

"Lilly," Her voice was a raspy whisper. "I know what's happening, but I'll be okay. I'll be in Nyx's realm." Only I could hear her.

"I know."

Anastasia had come over to us and handed me some towels, which I wrapped around her. I picked her up soundlessly and followed my mentor to the infirmary. On the way, I did nothing but look at Yumi; her eyes were now closed and her face was even paler. I thought, Why her? Why did it have to happen to her?

We had made it to the infirmary. Anastasia led me inside and to an empty bed, where I gently placed Yumi. I sat beside the bed and held her hand, closing my eyes. I sent a pray up to Nyx. 'Keep her safe, please. Let her be happy and enjoy herself. We will miss her, but we want her to be happy, not sad. Please, do what you can for her, Nyx, and thank you.' I kept my eyes closed, still holding onto Yumi's hand.

The voice of Neferet stabbed through my empty thoughts. "Lilly, you will have to let go of her now. She's gone."

My eyes opened and I looked up at her. My face showed no emotion and I glared at her. "No, she's not gone. She's with me," I said coldly.

"Excuse me?"

I stood up and let go of her hand. I bored my eyes into Neferet's, and repeated myself. "She's not gone. She will live on. In all of us. All the ones who love her. To us, she's not gone. Her heart and spirit live on and there's nothing anyone can do about it." I turned and left the infirmary, leaving Neferet and the other vampyres that were in there speechless.

The memory wasn't hard to remember. I just thought of it and it would come to me. It was a bad time for everyone. We all still remember, but I'm the only one who could remember it so vividly, as if it had happened only a few days ago.

Soon after Yumi had died, I requested that no one be my roommate unless absolutely necessary and I have yet to have a new roommate. Everyone seems to respect me nowadays, and I guess they're sorry for me or something. I didn't bother reading their minds; I wasn't fond of doing stuff like that. It didn't feel right to me if I did that without a good reason.

I looked at the rest of the room. It didn't have any posters up along the dark violet wall; I wasn't a fan of them, neither was Yumi. My dresser was a dark grey and had five drawers. In it was my regular attire; long-sleeved grey shirts, black light-weight jackets with purple streaks going down each sleeve, black jeans, and my under garments. My closet was to the left of it, and had a black dress hanging in it, along with some extra shirts. The carpet on the floor was soft and a real deep indigo. My pillow was on the floor beside my bed, my blanket half off. Sighing, I got up and fixed it up.

Suddenly, I heard a little chime from my pocket. I pulled out my phone, puzzled. Who could be texting me now? I wondered as I looked at the sender. It was Noah, my boyfriend. My eyes went to the text, anticipating what would be written.

R u ok?

I texted him back.

Yeah just sick.

His response came back quicker than I thought it would.

Just sick? R u sure?

Yes don’t worry. I’m fine.

C u 2nite

4 wat?

A date

K c ya then

I put my phone back into my pocket and sighed again. Then I sat back down onto my bed. Guess I’ll just get some sleep, I thought as I closed my eyes and let sleep overcome me.