Chapter 1

I and my friend, Karen Sandra, were sitting together on one of the couches situated in front of a flat-screen TV showing MTV's Real World when Neferet walked into the dorm. Every one of us turned to see her with a new fledgling. I gave her a quick look. She had hazel colored eyes, and long, dark hair that was straight. Her mark was unique, though. It was completely filled in. I could sense great power fill the room, and it wasn’t just Neferet’s. This new fledgling was meant for something great, I could tell.

“Ladies, this is Zoey Redbird. Greet her and welcome her to the House of Night,” Neferet said to us. Everyone was still staring at Zoey’s Mark, so I decided to turn away.

As I did, Aphrodite stood from her group and said, “Hi Zoey. Welcome to your new home. I’m Aphrodite.”

Zoey smiled, “Hi Aphrodite!”

 “Neferet, would you like me to show Zoey to her room?” She asked. I rolled my eyes at that, thinking, ‘Why must she always appear nice and be such a hateful hag from hell at the same time?’ I already knew that answer; it was because her family was too hard on her and they never really showed any love towards her. I turned back to the TV, but couldn’t really concentrate on the images shown. Everyone was still looking at Zoey as if she was a model or something.

I got up just as Neferet finished speaking and left. I headed up the stairs and to my room. I closed my door behind me and flopped down on my bed. I grabbed a book and started reading.

After a short while, I heard a voice outside my door. It was Aphrodite.

 “Yeah, you heard me right. This place is cool because I’m cool.”

Then there was nothing, as in, no sound at all. Instead of going back to reading my book, I closed my eyes and stretched my mind until I found Zoey’s. Reading minds was my specialty, but nobody else knew I could do it, that is, except for my mentor, Anastasia.

Once I reached her mind, I heard, felt, and saw what she did. Aphrodite had her eyes narrowed. ‘Ah, crap. Am I gonna have to fight her?’ Zoey asked herself. ‘I’ve never been in a fight!’ Her stomach nodded and body tensed. And, quickly, Aphrodite’s face went from creepy to relaxed and sweet.

“Good. Just so we understand each other,” She turned and knocked on the door.

A familiar voice came from the room, “Come on in!”

Aphrodite opened the door, but I reeled my mind back. I’d seen enough. “Zoey, have you gotten on her bad side,” I shake my head. Sighing, I laid my head on my pillow, a little worn out from that small visit. Reading minds could wear you out no matter what, especially if you’re still fledgling.

After a few minutes, I heard grumbling go past my door. I smiled as I recognized it as Aphrodite. ‘Man, did she get pissed,’ I thought.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I headed down to the dining hall for dinner. They had spaghetti with garlic. I grabbed some tea to go with my meal, and sat down at my usual table, which so happened to be two tables away from where Zoey was sitting. Erin Bates, Damien Maslin, and Stevie Rae Johnson were sitting with her. I went back to eating and distracted myself with thoughts about my classes tomorrow.

Shaunee Cole went by my table and sat down at Zoey's. She started talking before she even sat down. I watch them for a while, and then Aphrodite went over, which surprised me. 'Surely she isn't going to start anything now?' I thought as she talked to Zoey.

Then after a few exchange of words, she went back to her table. Zoey and the others started talking again, but instead of staying to watch, I got up and took care of my trash. I was the first to leave that dining room, but frankly, I didn't care, I was too preoccupied to. I go to the girls' dorm and up to my room. I got into bed and lied there, thinking about what would happen in the days to come. I dozed off into a dreamless sleep.