THE lETTeR

—"You mentioned dad. Is he really my father, mom?"

Yoonhee was startled by her daughter's question. It was one of the questions she never wanted Rona to ask her because she felt that it would hurt her daughter to find out that the father she has known for years is not her birth father. She's scared that her daughter will lose her trust in her and resent her for hiding that from her, scared that something bad will happen to her because of this. And now it's happening and she doesn't know how to deal with it.

"Why… why are you suddenly asking t-that, Rona?"

"I just don't get why he treated you like that. He cheated on you, he did not even take care of me. Even grandma, she never visited me even once," Rona said, remembering the way her supposed dad and grandmother treated her and her mom. She looked at her and asked, "What could be the reason they treated us like that, mom?"

Yoonhee was caught off-guard. She didn't expect her to ask that. It's like she underestimated her and forgot that Rona is a smart girl.

She has been preparing for this day when Rona would seriously inquire about her father. She knew this day would surely come and it was something she needed to face someday because she cannot forever hide the truth from her.

And now was the moment she had been dreading. She never wanted to lie to her but it was not yet time. She has to delay telling the truth... for now.

"Rona--"

She was about to tell another white lie to her but Rona cut her off, "But even so, I don't need a father. I only need you mom. You're all I need."

Yoonhee, moved by her daughter's words, took both her hands and held them tightly. She then remembered the content of the letter she received two days ago.

 She then remembered the content of the letter she received two days ago

An hour after they got home from the amusement park, Rona went to the bathroom for a quick bath. Yoonhee took that opportunity to finally open the blue envelope she received on the morning of that same day.

She was a bit nervous as she flipped the envelope and observed a letter which was printed on the flap. However, she couldn't tell if it was a small letter e or l.

She wondered if it was the initial of the sender but then immediately dismissed the idea. She was more curious about what's inside so she started opening it instead.

She pulled out the letter it contained and slowly unfolded it. Her forehead furrowed as her eyes flew over the letter, reading every word it said.

 Her forehead furrowed as her eyes flew over the letter, reading every word it said

"W-What's this? Is this some kind of a prank?" she whispered, there's a hint of fear in her voice.

She was putting the letter back in the envelope when she heard a door opening so she quickly shoved it in her pocket. 

"Oh, you're done? Come here, let me help you dry your hair," she said, forcing herself to smile as she faced Rona who just came out of the bathroom. Rona smiled at her, not noticing the anxious look on her mother's face.

Since the day she read that letter, she has been thinking about it deeply. 

What is the meaning of the letter and who sent it? 

If someone really wants to hurt them, who are they and what is their motive? 

The letter says trust no one but can the one who sent it be trusted?

Now she has decided and she's hoping that her decision will be right and she will have no regrets about it.

"Should we leave this place, Rona?"