Chapter 11

I don't know why I chose to not tell her, but I decided to keep it from my mother.
I had had a great debate against my mother, before she finally allowed for me to sleep. She seemed to be contemplating as to whether or not let me get some rest. Eventually, Doctor Mckenzie had walked into the midst of the heated argument and had persuaded my mother to let me sleep. I could not seem to understand what the problem was with sleep, considering the doctor had told me I was recovering quickly and would be leaving the next day.

I do not remember when sleep finally dragged me to blissful nothigness, however, when I awoke, I was alone in a dark room.
Visiting hours had probably ended so I had assumed my mother was most likely asleep at home. I began to grow restless as I kept looking at all of the dark corners of the room. I imagined a silhouette dashing towards me with a glimmer of silver right before my eyes. My imagination was taking wild turns so I cautiously switched on the overhead light.
The white light was small, yet was able to cast an eerie feel throughout half the room, but I could withstand it. I began to close my eyes again, in an attempt to sleep, when something on the far end of the room caught my eye. I was alert to realise that in the furthest corner from me, darkness laid it's claim. However, an even darker shadow arose movement as I stared. My eyes became teary as I remembered the incident with one swift motion of a blade, and the last breath of Jade. Just as I thought my eyes were getting the best of me, bright green appeared from amidst the dark.
I felt my heart quicken its pace.
Eyes grew wide in fear.
Breathing became shallow.
As green eyes stared back, just as I opened my mouth to scream. However, my breath was cut short when the figure dashed towards me so fast, I deemed it impossible. Before my voice could escape me, I felt a strong, rough hand grasp my face and cover my mouth. My instincts kicked in. I began to toss my weight from one shoulder to the other. The note... When your time is up, it will be of my own doing. The words etched in my mind resurfaced. This man was going to kill me. Death. I had witnessed it already. I could not - would not - let it happen.
I could feel my body sag in defeat. My energy was falling. I would not be able to overpower this person. But I persisted. I would not fall to this monster. He would not have me so easily.
I tried to scream but the hand did not budge. I clawed at it, but resulted in the same stagnant position. I tried to see the face of my oppressor but realised he stood behind me.
Then it hit me.
I opened my mouth as far as it would go and bit onto the hand with as much force I could muster. Thankfully this worked, as the hand loosened slightly, just slightly, but it was enough for me to free myself. I rolled off the bed and toppled to the floor, immediately standing to make my quick escape.
I ran towards the door. Within the very first steps, an arm grabbed ahold of me. I was jerked back and a hand covered my mouth once again. I tried to run but the man's strength was far more than that which my adrenaline could provide.

"Be quiet!" The harsh voice whispered next to my left ear. I could feel the person's breath warm my neck and I felt disgusted at the close proximity. I tried to kick my captor but he only strengthened the hold he had on me. "Shut up! I will only let you go if you stop shouting." His harsh authoritative tone was enough to make me do as he said.

I immediately stopped wrestling him and the room became quiet. All except for the steady breathing in my left ear. The hand slowly uncovered my mouth and I opened it to scream again. If I was going to die, I would make the fight worthwhile.

"Don't even think about it." Once I settled down, the man grabbed my arms from just beneath my shoulders. When he spoke again, I was surprised to find that his harsh demeanour had changed to a rather soft voice. "I am not here to hurt you. Get that into your head. The situation is anything but that." I was trying to pay attention to what he was saying but his warm breath tickling my cheek was beginning to irritate me.

"Let me go." I struggled to pull myself out of his firm grip, but when it seemed that he was not complying, I added, "If you want me to trust you, then you should do as I say."

I heard a hushed laugh escape the person. "I am the one holding you captive, yet you are the one giving the orders? You're still the same." Still the same? I felt his grip on my arms weaken and slowly his hands brushed off of me. I felt violated of my privacy.

I rapidly turned around to face the man. I did not know what to expect but certainly did not believe my oppressor to be a boy who looked as if he was my age. No muscles. No extreme height. No dark, oppressive eyes. However, a small smile played on his lips. The blonde who stood before me was slightly taller with eyes green, yet at such a small distance separating us, visible light blue etched within his pupils. Then I remembered who this person was. Still the same?

"Who are you? How do you know me?" My voice was barely a whisper yet the slight frown that appeared on his face told me heard.

"Um...I..." He stuttered and slowly closed his eyes. My own flickered towards the door as Ai planned my escape. He would not be expecting me to flee and even so, abruptly and rapidly. "You don't remember me do you?" He looked at me with pleading eyes and with a simple shake of my head, he took a seat on a nearby chair.

I stole a glance at the door. It was so close, all I had to do was a quick dash and I would be safe. Just as I took a small step, I looked back at the person. Head burrowed beneath his open hands, he did not seem as if he wished to harm me. I stared at him and his figure seemed to grow larger before my very eyes. It was then I realised that I was walking towards him, and as I did so, the distance between the door and I was increasing. Without my mind's consent, I found myself taking a seat on the bed, and in doing so, the metal rail of the bed squeaked. Immediately, he looked up to see me on the bed, and smiled.

"Thank you." He spoke.

With a puzzled look I asked, "Why?"

"For staying." His blue-green eyes shun with happiness, before he began to speak. "I want to protect you, Judice. I want to keep you safe. I didn't know you would forget me as well."

"What do you mean 'forget you'? I can not forget someone who I have never met."

"Didn't anyone tell you what happened?"

I looked at him wearily, assessing every sentence - every word - he had spoken to me. Apart from telling me to be quiet, he had not said anything that would suspect me to believe he had dangerous motives.
My eyes slowly scanned his figure. His shoes were dark grey sneakers with the famous Converse star emblem stitched to the side. However the tip of the star was covered by black jeans which hung loosely. As I looked further up, I realised he was wearing a light grey hoodie. But it was not the hoodie that caught my attention, rather the black and yellow Batman symbol plastered on the front. I had to raise my eyebrows at that, in approval.
A murderer would wear... certainly not that!
I removed my eyes from the black bat and fixed them on his eyes. Only then did I realise that he had been staring back at me for the several moments I had taken to understand him. He scrunched his eyebrows together and repeated his question again.

"Did anyone tell you about what happened or not?" When I didn't reply to his question, I could see the sorrow seep from his eyes. I could not bear to see the hurt and looked down at my bare feet.
But why was I feeling bad? I had every right to remain quiet, after all, he did make quite a first impression...
"I understand that you do not trust me, and for obvious reasons as well. But please, I need you to trust me. I -" he paused mid-sentence, causing me to revert my eyes back to him. Only then did I notice the indecision that swiped across his face as he folded his arms across his chest. I could tell from his knitted eyebrows and the way his eyes seemed to drill holes through the floor he stared at, that he was debating as to whether or not continue. Then he looked up to find me staring...again. However, his concentrated expression did not waver. After what seemed like hours of continuous silent staring, he spoke. "I need you to trust me because... because I think I can help you find the person who murdered Jade, and I might be the only one who can."