A promise to the dead

Diana lifted her head from her notes when she heard a knock on her bedroom door and smiled once she saw her dad standing there. Waving him over, Diana invited him in and Charles smiled back at his daughter as he walked over to her and stood behind her as she sat by her desk.

"What are you doing, honey?" He asked, as Diana shrugged.

"Studying." She said. "I have a history test tomorrow."

"Well, I'll make this quick then." Charles chuckled a little, before placing a letter over Diana's book, causing the girl to frown as she picked it up to inspect it. "It's from Eichen House."

"Eichen House?" Diana repeated, pulling out the papers from the already opened letter as her dad nodded. "What do they want?"

"They want to pay us an indemnity." Charles explained, as Diana read exactly that from the papers in her hands. "For, you know... You almost getting killed, I guess."

"Oh, do they?" Diana rolled her eyes as she shoved the papers back inside the envelope and shook her head as she gave it back to her dad. "I don't want their money."

"I thought you'd say something like that." Charles laughed. "But I don't want their money either. Maybe I'll just have them pay for your MRI yesterday and call it a day."

At those words, something inside Diana's brain clicked and, spinning her chair around, Diana reached for her dad's hand and grabbed it in hers before he could walk out of the room. Turning back around to look at his daughter, Charles frowned a bit at the sudden reaction from the girl.

"What?" He asked. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong." Diana shook her head. "It's just... We might not need that money, but I know someone who does."

"You want me to ask Eichen House to give our indemnity money to someone else?" Charles asked, confused.

"Not... Really?" Diana frowned, a little unsure. "I actually wanted you to talk to them so that, instead of giving us the money or paying for my MRI, they just forgave the sherrif's debt with them."

"The sheriff has a debt with Eichen House?" Charles asked.

"Yeah." Diana nodded. "Remember when Stiles stayed a day there at Eichen a few months ago? Apparently the sheriff has been struggling with money these past few weeks and he can't pay for it so Eichen is all over him. So... Since we weren't really gonna use the money and we don't want it, maybe we can help Stiles and his dad instead?"

At her words, Charles smiled, a proud, soft look on his face as he looked at his daughter, once again thinking of her friends before ever thinking of her - once again, thinking of Stiles. Before she died, Sabrina would tell Charles again and again that she was sure their daughter was in love with Stiles Stilinski. Charles didn't use to see it, if he was being honest - he thought Diana actually had a huge crush on her best friend Lydia Martin -, and he would joke around that the fire department captain's daughter falling in love with the sheriff's son was the biggest cliche around, but, after Diana came back, Charles started to pay more attention to her - not that he didn't before, is just that, now, after thinking she was dead for almost three months, it was only fair he would keep an closer eye on his daughter, right? - and he started to see it. Diana had always been loyal and devoted to her friends, but there was something about Stiles Stilinski that was different from the rest. And she could call it whatever she wanted, but Charles knew what it was: love.

So, without thinking twice, Charles nodded his head and pressed a kiss to Diana's forehead.

"I'll see what I can do." He said, laughing when Diana hugged him close and whispered a quiet thank you in his ear. "I don't promise anything, though."