One: The Red Crane

Jesper had always considered himself a lucky man. He grew up with a loving Ma and Da, both of whom he treasured close to his heart. His home in Noyvi Zem had been colorful and full of comfort while now he lived in the sleepy but exhilarating streets of Ketterdam. He was also incredibly lucky to look as handsome as he did and know so many great people like Inej Ghafa and Nina Zenik. He was also lucky to find himself on the good side of The Barrel's darling Kaz Brekker.

Maybe it was because he had his mother's sense of kindness in his genes, but he tended to look at the his life like it was a glass half-full of bubbly champagne. Some may have called him arrogant or just plain dumb, but this way of thinking made his life much more bearable. When people asked him if he was a lucky man, Jesper would always say yes. And if they didn't believe it? Well then, the only thing he could do was prove them wrong.

It was like every other night in the Barrel. There had been light rain an hour ago, leaving the town to glimmer and shine as masked performers danced about the streets. A few of them had recognized Jesper and gave him a friendly wave before twirling off to find new customers to woo. One girl dressed in fake red velvet even cooed his name, asking when he'd visit her again.

"Maybe another day, love," he said back. "I'm afraid I'm running an errand for Brekker tonight."

He kissed her hand before continuing on his path. What he had said was true, after all, and he didn't want to disappoint the Bastard of the Barrel again. All he had to do what deliver some boring little paper to Mr. Rollings down near The Sweets Shoppe, and then he'd be done for the day. A soft, warm blanket was waiting for him at home. He could practically hear it calling his name now.

Jesper played with his vest — straightening it, doing and undoing the buttons — doing anything to get his mind off of the storefronts he passed. It was the only way to keep him focused on the task at hand.

"You there, sir!" Someone called to Jesper, a white grin on his chapped lips. "Are you a lucky man?"

The words stopped Jesper in his place. It was like a dinner bell being rung, impossible to ignore and promising him something sweet.

He looked over at the gambling house: the Red Crane. Oh, he had been there plenty of times. It smelled like cheap Shu incense and cigars, but the games there were wonderful. He could practically feel the red and white chips in his hands, the rough edges of plastic in his fingers.

Maybe he could play one game. One game to relax the itch inside him, and then he'd be on his way. He was a lucky man, after all, and this was what lucky people did.

Jesper slowly turned on his heels and strolled into The Red Crane. Almost immediately, he could hear coins hit the tables and people cheer. It looked to be a good night.

He found the nearest table and sat down. This place was not nearly as nice as the Crow Club, but it would work. He pulled out a black leather sack from his coat pocket, counting his money as the others at the table finished up their game.

Lucky Jesper, they quickly added him in. They replaced his kruge for chips, and that itch settled into Jesper's chest like an old friend. He could feel every molecule in that red piece of plastic, each one begging to be pulled apart and put back together. They spoke to him, asking to be brought to life. But instead of answering to the call, he stacked them into three little groups in front of him and grabbed his cards.

"Say, you look familiar," a man sitting next to him said. He was older than Jesper, the same age as most visitors that wander through the Barrel, but he lacked the masks and capes of the others. "Come here often?"

"Not as often as I'd like," Jesper answered. He called on a waiter to grab him a drink. It wasn't a game without a bit of booze in his system, after all. For good luck.