Chapter 21 - Lia

The night sky grumbles above as a storm brews.

I'm so glad I took up Savannah's offer to stay the night, because I honestly didn't feel safe sleeping alone at home tonight since the incident.

I briefly met her mother Michelle earlier today and she was honestly the sweetest woman imaginable.

There was a delicious scent lingering around the house that made Savannah and I drift into the kitchen, our stomachs rumbling. Michelle had heard Savannah had a friend over and baked us chocolate chip, banana bread, which I devoured. Each mouthful just melted on my tongue. Not to be dramatic or anything, but it gave my tastebuds an orgasm. It was that good.

I see where Savannah gets her kind heart and spunky personality from. Her mother could be mistaken as her sister. The only difference being that her mom has brown eyes and shorter hair. She appears young from afar, but you notice the signs of aging when standing up close.

After that we got comfortable in her movie room, watching The Host.

It's currently midnight and I haven't been able to fall asleep, due to the painfully loud silence in Savannah's bedroom. I'm used to hearing the sounds of the crickets chirping and the fan spinning in my room. Her room is dead silent, with no sign of life.

Savannah's been knocked out for the past hour due to those melatonin gummies she was munching on earlier. I should have taken up her offer and eaten a couple myself.

It's hard not to laugh as Savannah starts to lightly snore over on her side of the bed.

At least the silence is gone.

I must say, this bed is the comfiest bed I've ever lay in. My body sinks into her mattress like it's a cloud. Her duvet and pillows are filled with feathers, and her sheets are so soft I could swear they were hand crafted by an angel.

It's been so long since I've slept anywhere other than my rock hard bed at home. With the exception of a concrete, jail cell floor of course.

The room lights up in a flash as lightning strikes outside, thunder following closely behind. Then I hear it, the first few raindrops start to fall, colliding with Savannah's large windows. As the rainfall gets heavier, it drowns out the ever so loud silence that's been keeping me up.

I've been waiting for the rain to start, so I can finally get some rest. I need a white noise to help me rest, otherwise I get anxious, the quiet making me feel alone.

I grew up going to bed before my parents and hearing them moving around the house. Ever since they left, my anxiety has worsened. When I go to sleep, I try to imagine the noises around me being caused by my parents, that way I don't feel so alone.

Just as my mind begins to drift off into sleep, I'm startled awake by a deep gurgling sound. I sit up abruptly, staring down at Savannah. Her mouth hangs wide open as she snores loud enough to make the island think another hurricane has arrived. I guess the sky isn't the only thing that'll be making a ruckus tonight.

I twist around, slamming a pillow over my head to drown the noise out. It doesn't help much at all and honestly I'm considering finding a guest room to myself. I need a white noise, not an engine in my ear.

Twisting out of the covers, I climb out of her bed and head for the bathroom. I don't bother closing the door quietly, in hopes that it causes Savannah to stir and stop snoring. After switching on the light, I head for the sink and splash my face with warm water. In my house the water takes a minute to heat up, this was almost instant.