Chapter 6

"Why do you insist on haunting me!!!???" I shouted the instant I burst through my door and glared at my once best friend in the mirror.

"Oh, so now I'm haunting you?" She couldn't keep the smile off her face.

"Yes, you are… And you know what…. I don't like it!" I said, struggling for words.

"You don't like it? If I may recall, you were the one that couldn't live without her best friend. You almost lost it when you found out I was in the mirror. So why the change of heart my friend?" 

"Because you have something sinister planned for me. You're no ones best friend. You are evil!"

"Awww… now that really breaks my heart Kitty."

"You have no heart."

"That's enough Kitty Kat. You don't want to make me angry. I want to be on good terms when I come out." She stated blankly.

"And when exactly is that happening?"

"Soon."

"You're not gonna give me a 24 hour notice? I'd like to get as far away as possible!"

"You can't escape me Kat. You should have noticed by now that I'll appear anywhere you are. I'm your "reflection." I mean, Kitty. That's kind of a given."

"Gawd…" I sighed, "What happened to you? We used to be such great friends."

"We are. You are saving me Kitty."

For a second, I actually believed her sincerity. But I knew better now. She was playing me. She was playing me the same way she has the entire time I've known her. As I stared at her, I realized that more and more. I almost wanted to choke her then and there. But, you know, she's in the mirror and that would make me look stupid.

"Listen Ruby, I don't want to play mind games anymore." I said looking her in the eye.

"Alright…. From now on, you are gonna have to do everything I say…. or else."

"See? That threat isn't going to cut it!" I spat at her.

"Really? How about this?" 

Ruby walked towards the kitchen that was on her end and she picked up a knife. She stared at it and came back to stare at me. Without blinking she sliced the knife across her left palm. Suddenly, I felt a pang in my hand and I screamed bloody mary. The cut she made on herself appeared on me.

"How?"

"I'm your reflection Kat. Everything that happens to me, happens to you. I'm strong enough to do a lot. So don't test me."

"What do you want from me?" I whimpered as I slumped to the ground holding onto my palm.

"… The box you found in my room is very important. I want you to open it in front of me and I'll tell you what to do. But first, you might want to disinfect that." 

Silently, I stood up and went to the bathroom. As tears slid down my cheek, I washed my hand and wrapped it. For that moment I was glad she hadn't followed me. Then I realized she was never following me, I was pulling her along. Since she was my reflection she had to stick with me. 

Now, she's too powerful to be dragged around by me. I splashed myself with cold water and wished I had my reflection back so that I could see what I looked like. I decided I looked like hell and walked out of the restroom. Returning to the dining room, I picked up the box that was now on the ground.

Ruby instructed me to lay down every envelope on the table. She told me to bring sticky notes and a pen. I did what she asked. The last thing I needed is for her to stab me again.

"Now what?" I asked as I sat myself down at the table.

"You might want to think of the tone you use when you speak to me." She blatantly stated as she made herself comfortable on her side of the mirror, sitting on a chair.

"Now, pick up one of the envelopes and read me the name." She stated.

"Alright," I picked the first one in the line I had made, "Ariam."

"Ah, alright look for the one labeled "Niky." They are brother and sister and live together so you should deliver them at the same time."

"Wait-- deliver?" I asked as I looked for the envelope.

"Yes. You are going to deliver all 25 of these letters. There's 10 that you can hand deliver since they live in nearby cities. But the rest, I expect to be mailed tomorrow." 

"Fine." I stated through gritted teeth.

She proceeded to give me the address for every single person. As I stayed up to write the addresses on each envelope and the directions to the 10 places I was to visit tomorrow, a thought struck me. 

"Ruby?"

"Yes?"

"What does the letter say? In the envelopes, I mean. Are they all the same?"

"Yes, they are all the same. I am…calling them for a reunion. These people are all close and distant family members. They are only my cousins however. My parents are taking care of the adults… invitations." 

"Ah… and how do you expect to be at this…reunion."

"I'll be out of the mirror by then Kitty."

"Oh….Ruby?"

"Yes?"

"What will happen to me? When you get out, I mean." 

"…." 

She stayed silent. I continued with my work and we stopped talking. No matter what Billy had said, she's my best friend. We've been through so much together. I could never imagine her doing anything bad. 

"Your soul will belong to Lucifer." She finally blurted out.

"…oh…"

"You'll die."

Now I could clearly imagine her doing something bad. Killing me was very bad indeed.