Chapter 1

“Kitty!”

“I told you not to call me that!” I said, frustrated.

Standing up from the green armchair I had in the basement proved to be a difficult task as I was comfortable and had been sitting there for a few hours now. Dragging my feet up the stairs, I entered the kitchen to find my older brother sitting on the countertop by the sink.

“What?” I asked, knowing I was going to regret coming upstairs in the first place.

“Have you done anything productive today?” He asked, innocently, like a child asking how his parents day went.

“Yes, I did actually,” I responded with a smile, “I went for a walk down the street.”

“...How did that go?”

“.........Fine....I didn’t see her, if that’s what you’re implying!!” I snapped.

“Hey,” He raised his hands up in an I-Surrender gesture. “We’re just having a pleasant conversation.... Mom and dad are worried.”

“Well, they shouldn’t be. I’m fine.” I stated, stubbornly.

“Kat, after....after the accident, you’ve changed. You dropped out of college--”

“I was failing anyway!”

“--You don’t go out anymore--”

“I did today!”

“--You live alone--”

“Alright! Let me stop you there. I do not live alone.... I have Charlie.” I said.

Charlie, my female Siberian Husky with her grey and white coat and two different colored eyes, brown and green, looked up from her resting place by the dining table at the sound of her name. My smile got wider as I watched Kevin’s expression turn from amusement to disappointment. I love my brother, he’s always been there for me. But, I could not help being a smartass to him.

He’s right. I haven’t been myself lately. Dropping out of college was a shocker to everyone, even me, but I had to. She and I decided to go there together and without her there, there was no point in continuing to go there acting like nothing happened. I stopped socializing because she was the one I usually did my socializing with. Yes, I had other friends but they were her friends too and it was weird hanging out with them without her. Living alone has never been this lonely. She lived just down the street with her roommates, but she always spent her time here, she was going to move in but then the accident happened.

Even as I looked around my kitchen, I felt her presence, her memory there. I turned away quickly, making it look like I was getting something from the refrigerator, so he wouldn’t see my eyes water. Involuntary, I moved towards the mirror next to my dining table and hunched over.

“Kat... it’s been three months now.... you’ve got to let her go.”

“I can’t.” I whispered softly, dry sobbing.

“Kitty...” I heard Kevin lightly get off the counter.

“Don’t call me that...she used to call me that...”

“Kat--”

“Please leave me alone. Stop coming to check up on me. If I need you I will call you. Bye Kevin.”

“.... See you later sis.” Kevin finally said after an awkward silence.

His footsteps became fainter as he walked away. When I heard the door shut behind him I smiled.

“How do you think I did?” I asked,.

“Good performance Kitty... I’d work more on the water works but overall great job,” She smiled.

I stood up, tall and proud of the compliment I received, and looked at my best friends face.

“I’m really surprised you didn’t tell him anything, you usually tell him every single little detail about your life.” She bluntly said, as was her way.

“Things have changed. Do you think I’m stupid or something. I mean, after I told him the first time, he almost had me committed to an insane asylum. They made me go see a therapist, which by the way you didn’t help at all during that situation.”

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t help myself,” She smiled widely, her dimple showing on her left cheek like a crater on the moon.

“Well, it’s alright. I learned my lesson. They released me from therapy but obviously they’re still watching me if they sent my brother in to spy on me.”

“That just means you have to be more careful,” She said seriously, her eyebrows furrowing. “He has a key to the house, he can walk in at any time uninvited.”

“Don’t worry, I’m having a new alarm system placed in tomorrow.” I smiled.

“Hmph,” She smiled, almost wickedly. “Tell me Kitty, do you think you’re crazy?”

“..No. I’m not and you know it.” I said walking over to the couch away from the mirror by my dining table.

“You can’t ignore me Kat. Do you remember the first thing I said to you after the accident?”

“..Yes. How could I forget.... You said, “Everything’s alright Kitty, you’re not dreaming. I’m here for a reason. I’ll always be here.” And I believed you, I still believe you.”

“Do you know what the reason is? Why I’m here?” She asked seriously.

“... No. And who cares. I’m just glad I have my best friend here with me now.”

“For now.” I heard her whisper.

“What?”

“Nothing, Kitty. Things happen for a reason.” She said, sweetly, her voice dripping like melted milk chocolate.

“Why did this happen then?” I said, still faced away from her.

“For a reason. It will make sense soon, I guess. I can’t tell you though, it’s a secret. They’ve forbade me to tell you. I guess they don’t trust you like I do.” She smiled.

“Fine. I’ll let this go for now. I hate when you keep things from me. But, I guess I understand.”

After a moment, I finally stood up from my place on the couch and turned around. I stared straight at the mirror. Where my reflection was supposed to be, she stared right back at me. She smiled innocently.

“Be patient, Kitty. Everything happens for a reason.”

I smiled back at her. She was right. Being patient was never my strong suit, but I knew I had to be in this case.