HOUSE

When dares go terribly wrong.

TW: themes of self-harm and su*cide.

When Amelia was dared to go and explore the abandoned house on the edge of her street, she didn't bat an eye

When Amelia was dared to go and explore the abandoned house on the edge of her street, she didn't bat an eye. Parker, who had been the one to suggest the dare in the first place, looked more nervous for her than she was for herself. It was just a house; why should she be scared?

"If you die in there, we're not retrieving your body," said Jade. She stood beside Amelia, hugging her arms to her chest as she observed the house. Though she put on a brave front, Amelia had known the girl long enough to see she was terrified for her, too.

"You two have no faith in me," Amelia said. She turned to Parker, who was now as white as a sheet. "Parker, you're the one who suggested this!"

He shook their head. "I know, but I didn't think you'd actually agree to it!"

"You're a big baby." She pulled on Jade's sweater sleeve. "Time me. If I'm gone longer than ten minutes, get some help."

And with that, she crossed the lawn and slipped into the house.

Jade and Parker stood, waiting, and when ten minutes was nearing, they saw Amelia emerge from the house. She looked slightly frazzled, but neither of them paid it much mind. For all they knew, she'd come across a gigantic spider and it had scared her half to death. Now, having been convinced the house would eat Amelia the moment she stepped inside, the two were just relieved she wasn't dead.

"I think that's enough truth or dare for today," Parker said. He lifted his arms over their head to stretch, throwing an arm around both Amelia and Jade upon finishing the stretch. "How about some dessert?"

"Ooh, what dessert?" Jade lit up.

"Mom's apple pie."

Jade pumped a fist in the air, grin wide across her face. "Yes!"

Jade and Parker began walking, chatting animatedly amongst themselves. Amelia stood frozen in place, staring back at the house looming in front of her. There was something different about it to her now. Something more welcoming, almost. A sense of belonging. Of peace.

"Amelia?" Parker turned to her.

She shook her head slightly, clearing her mind of those thoughts. "Coming!" With one final glance back at the house, Amelia ran to join her friends.

A week passed without anything out of the ordinary for the trio. Parker dragged them to an art show, where his piece was shown behind a glass case. It was a painting Amelia and Jade had helped create, having posed painstakingly for hours at a time to help Parker achieve the positions they wanted. He glowed with admiration, looking at their work being treated so well. Jade convinced Parker and Amelia to spend a day in the city, where they passed time window-shopping until they couldn't walk anymore. Amelia did all of this silently and almost as a bystander: there to watch, but not there to participate.