Chapter 6: exposed

I started hanging out with the girls: after school and on weekends. They were great fun. We'd ride our bikes places or go to the shopping centre and roam about.
Jackie had a party for her fifteenth birthday (Blanche was already fifteen) just the four of us and a bunch of relatives.
My fifteenth was coming up in a few weeks and then Alene's a month later.
I should have known what was coming; I should have anticipated, but for some dumb reason I didn't.

We were sitting in a small cafe sharing a couple of drinks, when Jackie, supported by the other two, began insisting that I have a birthday party, even if it was just the four of us.
"Well, maybe." (not over the moon, but . . .)
"Come on, let's finish these drinks and go around and check out the party set up at your joint."
"Hang on . . ."
"Hurry up, let's move it."
Jackie was just about impossible to stop when she was on a roll.
Bloody hell. It was Saturday afternoon, Mum and Dad wouldn't be home. I would just have to keep this lot out of my bedroom, or at the very least away from my wardrobe.
Failed on both accounts.

Jackie (of course) pulled out the t-shirt, jeans and skirt and held them up, "So what have we here? This might help explain how our dear Mel knows so much about girls gear."
I went red as a beetroot, my befuddled brain desperately trying to come up with a plausible explanation. I had no hope, I knew that they wouldn't believe any lame excuse I could come up with. I gulped and tears formed in my eyes.
Alene put her arm around me and said gently, "It's alright, babe, we're your friends. Tell us all about it."
I sat down on the edge of my bed. Alene and Blanche sat next to me with their arms around me and I poured out the whole story. Somehow I knew that they were my friends and wouldn't betray me.
Jackie was standing in front of me and grinning broadly. "Mel, you are terrific, but you know what you've got to do now, my little cherry blossom," she said handing me the t-shirt and skirt.
I hardly had a choice, did I?
"Wait up," she wasn't finished with me. She ratted in the drawers of my dresser and found the panties hidden at the back.
"I thought so," she laughed as she tossed me a pair.

Dressed up, hair done, Blanche's lipstick on, I stood in all my anxious glory before them for their judgement.
"Great."
"What a doll."
"Hey, you can't be Melville anymore . . . let me think. I know . . . Melody," declared Jackie.
"Love it," enthused Blanche.
"Do you like it, babe?" Alene asked with sweet concern.
I did. I nodded.