Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

"Well, I run the office. And, uh, tend the cabins and ground and...and do the errands for my mother," Norman explained. "The ones she allows I might be capable of doing."

"And do you go out with friends?" Marion asked.

"Well, a boy's best friend is his mother," came the reply of Norman.

Skylar was currently on her bed, in her dorm, eyes transfixed on her  laptop screen as Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho played on her screen. A cinematic legend released in 1960. It was a movie that was dear to her heart because it was tense, horrific, and superb in only the way Hitchcock could make it. And sure, it was released over three decades before she was born, but boy was she in love with that movie.

It was then that she hid under her covers at the sudden burst of light emitted by Sarah turning on the lights. She groaned as she retreated from her covers and adjusted to the brightness.

"Are you watching a black and white film?" Sarah asked.

"Yes, ma'am." 

Sarah seemed very confused. "Why would you submit yourself to that?"

"Because I appreciate good cinema," Skylar responded matter-of-factly. 

Sarah sighed and sat down on her own bed. Her gaze never left Skylar though. After a few seconds she said, "So I got your text."

After getting back from Burlingame, Skylar had not been able to find Sarah, hence she sent her a text explaining to her that she would no longer be her roommate as she was moving as soon as she got everything settled in administration. Skylar would only be staying in the dorm until Monday morning, because as soon as her classes were over she would be making a quick stop at her new apartment to drop off all her belonging, and then head off to her first day of her internship at Ian's law firm.

"Is that really happening?"

"Yes," Skylar said. "Apparently Ian wants me to live closer to work. It's in Burlingame. Right in between school and work. I see where he's coming from."

"And how are you going to transport yourself there?" Sarah asked.

Skylar blushed. "About that. Uh, Ian also got me a car."

At that Sarah stayed quiet for a moment. Skylar could only imagine what she was thinking. Of course that didn't seem like normal things to give your new employee, and Skylar didn't want her to think that she was somehow seducing Ian because that was just laughable. 

"Do you think he has a thing for you?" Sarah asked seriously.

At that, Skylar scoffed. "Of course not! Ian is a really nice guy, but he only cares about his daughter and work. I doubt he has women in mind at the moment. And if he does, I'm pretty sure it's some more mature, hot woman working at his firm. She probably has a big rack and looks great in a bikini."