Twenty-Six

The ride out of the pass was a quiet and somber affair. There was no singing, no laughter, and the few words that were exchanged between the Raptors were hushed. The road was covered in a thick layer of mud with debris scattered throughout, and the cohort picked their way carefully through it. Even so, the horses legs, bellies, and chests were soon coated and mud splattered the Raptors as well. Tavan had reluctantly conceded to Jayza's suggestions, and she was now firmly tied to one of the warhorses, the reins held in Tavan's hand. After securing her, he had trotted down the line then back up the other side, making sure everything was in order. Satisfied, he took the lead, his back ramrod straight and his lips pressed in a thin line. Jayza remained silent as well, her face neutral and her feelings hidden. She had done her best to draw her legs up in order to avoid the mud, but the position was uncomfortable, and she soon gave up, concentrating on staying balanced now that her hands were tied again.

By the time they finally left Heaven's Stair, night had fallen. Jayza had expected them to stop soon after, but Tavan marched for several more hours and she began to fidget, unused to being tied up for so long. She tried to distract herself by picturing what the surrounding countryside looked like and failed miserably. Thick green trees with thin needle-like leaves had crowded in as they made their way out of the pass, only allowing her to see what was in the immediate vicinity. She sensed the road opened up once they entered Truscas and she could see some open land in the moonlight, but the darkness robbed it of any color and having nothing to compare it to, she eventually turned her thoughts inward, huddling in her cloak as Tavan continued to march on.

"Now that the General has tossed away his favorite toy, maybe he'll be willing to share," a voice whispered out of the darkness. Jayza roused herself, turning to find Commander Barint leering at her. She opened her mouth, a sharp reply on her lips, then shut it again. Engaging with him would only spur him on and she preferred he just leave her alone. Instead, she turned and faced forward, ignoring him and hoping he would just go away.

"You must be quite the little whore," he continued. "For a barbarian."

Jayza's temper rose. Clenching her fists, she dug her fingernails into her palms, focusing on the pain so she wouldn't say anything.

"Imagine. Our esteemed General, sworn to protect the Empire and the Emperor at all costs, has found himself besotted with a desert rat. An illiterate, dirty, inferior desert rat who committed treason. So, tell me. Why has he kept you by his side all this time? Because it certainly can't be because of how smart you are." Commander Barint's voice was dark and smooth, and he laughed huskily at her attempts to ignore him.

Jayza's rage overflowed. Slowly turning her head, she sneered. "Maybe I'm a witch. Isn't that what everyone is accusing me of?"

"Horse shit," Commander Barint declared, making a rude noise. "No such thing. Unless you bewitched him with your talents in bed." He leered again, running his tongue suggestively over his lips.

"Seems you'll never know," Jayza said, smiling evilly before turning forward again.

Commander Barint nudged his horse closer. Running a finger down the side of her face, he leaned over, his lips next to her ear.

"Oh, I think I will know. Matter of fact, I'm sure of it. And I'll have my answer very soon." He casually nipped her ear then ran his tongue down her jawline. Jayza jerked her head away, trying to urge the horse with her knees. Commander Barint chuckled, keeping his mount alongside. Transferring his hand from her face to her thigh, he ran it slowly up the length, stopping just short of her hip. Jayza fought the urge to flinch, stiffening her muscles. The action only made him laugh darkly and he squeezed hard enough to hurt.