Twenty

"Wake up, little one. Time for us to be on our way."

Jayza forced her eyes open, then uttered a low oath and closed them again, burying her head in the pillow. Tavan chuckled quietly and gently pulled the coverlet down.

"I know, Jayza. I wish I could let you remain in bed for a while longer. But my men are waiting. As is the Emperor. I can't delay our departure any longer."

"Do I have time to bathe?" She let out a huge sigh, then sat up, rubbing her eyes. Tavan was already dressed in his military gear and as Jayza glanced around the room, she saw almost everything had been packed and was waiting to be taken away. It was obvious he had let her sleep as long as possible, and she smiled at his obvious consideration.

"If it's quick. And if you eat while waiting for it to warm." Tavan was still moving about the room, finishing up with some last-minute packing. He moved to the small desk and bent over, penning another message. Jayza assumed it was going to be sent to the Emperor and she stretched then reluctantly crawled out of bed, issuing a large yawn as she did so. She was exhausted and the darkness outside told her dawn was still far off. Yawning again, she stepped to the side of the tub and began filling it, then poured a cup of coffee and took a piece of bread off the tray that was sitting on the low table in front of the sofa. Tavan appeared to be carrying his cup around with him as he finished packing and it now sat at his elbow. He periodically sipped it as he considered his message, then returned to the table and poured another one once the message had been sealed and stamped.

"Why do we have to go so early?" she groaned. "I feel like I haven't slept at all."

"I want to be out of Sim Hanji before most of the citizens begin their day. We have a long way to go and having to slow down because the roads are clogged will make it even longer. Besides, I always start my journeys early. It allows for time to relax before bedding down for the night." Tavan had returned to the desk, cleaning up his materials and stowing them away. Slamming the chest shut, he secured it and carried it over to the door, then retrieved his coffee as he sat on the sofa, watching her.

Jayza didn't answer, having shoved a large piece of buttered bread in her mouth. Taking a good-sized gulp of the coffee, she rose, moved to the tub and stripped. Sinking into it, she scrubbed her skin until is tingled then washed a second time. Tavan had informed her last night that it was at least two days to the pass and then at least a day and half to get through it. He couldn't guarantee there would be water for bathing until they made it into Culan, which meant three or four days of sweat and grime. Jayza was determined to make the most of the tub before she had to say goodbye to it forever.

Quickly rinsing, she washed her hair and exited, taking another swallow of the coffee before picking up the loose pants and shirt she had worn during the first part of the journey. Tavan had sent everything to be cleaned while they were at the Bazaar and when they returned, the clothes had been folded and neatly stacked on the end of the bed. She had helped him fold the rest of his clothes and put them away, then laid aside her outfit before piling the blue dress and white sash on top. Tavan produced a new cloak for her, and she had mixed feelings about the gift. The cloak, while simple, was warm and would be welcome but wearing it meant she could no longer huddle under his while riding. She wondered if he had commissioned a new wagon and meant to put her back in it but was too afraid to ask. Instead, she accepted the cloak gracefully, laying it aside so it wouldn't be packed away. Finishing with her dressing, she began working the knots out of her hair while letting her thoughts drift back to the day before.

She and Tavan had spent the entire afternoon and a good part of the evening at the Bazaar. Jayza had wandered in and out of the little shops, at a loss about what to buy. Nothing seemed appropriate. The few things that caught her eye either seemed like they would send the wrong message or would be something he would not appreciate. And she simply refused to buy anything for herself. There was no way she would ever ask him to hold onto a piece of jewelry or an item of clothing she had worn, and she couldn't stomach the idea of him allowing another woman to wear it once she was gone. After the fifteenth or sixteenth place, she had thrown up her hands in disgust.