5. Hunting

"Edward, Bella's entering the cafeteria soon" Alice smiled as we sat at our table at school the next day. I didn't answer. Everytime I told her not to bring up Bella, she did anyway.

            "Look human everyone!" Alice instructed.

            "Alice, it's fine." I snapped. I watched as Bella walked in and looked around.  She caught my eye.

            "This is ridiculous." I growled as I watched Bella as she made her way over to her lunch table.

            "Are you going to talk to her?" I heard Emmett ask from beside me. I looked at him.

            "Well I can hardly waltz over there and interupt her conversation now, can I?" I said a bit too harshly. "I don't even know." I sighed, throwing my prop of a cookie down on my plate.

            "Edward, you're a vampire, you can do anything you want!" He chuckled. I smiled at him. It was true.

            "Yes. But it would be rude." I explained. Emmett shrugged.

            "Rosalie says I should leave her alone." I sighed.

            Who gives about what Rose says? It's never stopped you before. You know how she is. Emmett thought.

            "But in some ways I believe she's right.. It's not safe for anyone."

            Edward, I'll be first to admit that we all wish you weren't...uh...so alone. I mean, it's awkward!  Trust me, this is good for you. No one should be alone for so long. I mean look at when we play games in teams and then you have to go in a three... Just talk to Bella, Emmett admitted. He had a weird way of expressing what he really meant. 

            I smiled at Emmett and looked for Bella. She had gone over to the snack bar and was filling her bowl with colourful vegetables and fruits. I was out of my chair and walked over to her quickly.

            What is he DOING?! Rosalie snarled slowly in her head.

            He better just be getting an apple, or Rose is gonna freak! Jasper thought.

            Yes, yes, yes! Alice chimed. I stopped beside Bella but she hadn't noticed me. She was too busy arranging her salad into different colours.

            "Edible art?" I asked. Bella jumped a little and knocked her apple off the bench when her hand shook. Before it reached the ground I bounced it off my foot and caught it in my hands.

            "Bella?" I offered her the apple back.

            "Thanks." She smiled quickly and threw the apple in her bowl. She began making her way around the otherside of the snackbar. "You know, your moodswings are kinda giving me whiplash..." She admitted. I stopped next to her.

            "I only said it would be better if we weren't friends, not that I didn't want to be." It was true. I did want to be her friend, or more than that even. The term 'friend' sounded so childish.

            "What does that mean?"

            "It means if you were smart, you'd stay away from me." I explained, trying to scare her.

            "Okay then, let's say for arguments sake that I'm not smart. Would you tell me the truth?" She asked. Bella had some guts on her really. She was right up into my business.

            "No probably not, uh...." She couldn't find out who I was, and at that moment, just the fact that she knew there was something different about my family, was too much of a suspicion.