3. Car Crash

"Why didn't you move with your mother and Phil?" I asked, as we walked down the schools corridor to her locker. It felt unusual; walking with a human so casually, but I couldn't find the will to let her go after our biology lesson, with so many questions unanswered.

Although, it was dangerous as well, being with her. Talking in class was one thing- we were merely passing time as classmates, for work reasons. But talking to Bella as acquaintances, outside of class, was dangerous to my family and I. I couldn't grow attached to this girl even despite her locked away thoughts, forever taunting me. Yet I couldn't walk away.

"Well, Phil's a minor league baseball player, so he travels alot, and my mom stayed home with me, but I knew it made her unhappy so... I figured I'd stay with my dad for a while." We'd reached Bella's locker, and I had noticed a few wandering eyes from students catching notice of our conversation. Not one of them had seen me talk to anyone willingly outside of my family. 

Their thoughts were interesting.

Cullen, talking to the Swan girl? She must of asked him to walk her to her locker. Wouldn't have taken her as the gutsy type, wow. But... surely he wouldn't have said yes? I mean, he never has to anyone else.

Wait- hold up, is that Edward talking to Bella? Wow, okay. There's something new. Why, I wonder?

Jeez, I don't think I've ever seen him talk to someone other than his family before. What's Bella got that makes her so interesting?

Easy. A silent mind and unexpected answers. Speaking of answers, Bella was still waiting on mine.

"...And now, you're unhappy?" I guessed, taking into account she'd moved to a very uncomfortable environment for her liking.

"No..." She trailed off. Ugh, that was it! How can I understand her? Everything I predict is wrong. What is she thinking? It's driving me insane! She stared intently at me.

"I'm sorry, I'm just- I'm just trying to figure you out. You're very difficult for me to read." I said, shaking my head. She disregarded my last sentence.

"Hey did you get contacts?" She asked. I froze for a moment.

"No." I answered quickly. How could I have been so careless? I'd forgotten about my change of eye colour since I had last saw her. If there was anything she would have noticed about me when she saw me on her first day, it would have been that I was staring at her with piercing, black eyes. This was exactly why it was dangerous, spending time around her. I was already letting myself slip.

"Your eyes were black the last time I saw them, and now they're like... golden brown." She stated, as she choked out the words.

"Mm yeah I know, it's the uh, it's the florescence, um..." I covered up quickly. "Uh-" I stuttered.

There was nothing else I could say. I swung my body to face the direction we came in and headed off. Both my fists clenched tightly as I walked with frustration.The florescence? That wouldn't fool her for a second. As I'd learnt, she was a smart girl. That answer was complete rubbish- and she knew it.

------------

Edward, Alice thought as I approached my car. Edward where were you? Were you with Bella? 
I shrugged away her thoughts but I was in no rush to get home. I was more interested in watching Bella and trying to untangle her thoughts. I got to the car. My family were deep in conversations but Alice glanced her head over towards me.

Edward! Don't ignore me. Were you with Bella? Did you talk to her? 
I lent by my car, scanning the lot for Bella.

Edward just answer Alice, she's been worrying about you all day, Jasper sighed through his thoughts. I glanced at him and he gave me a look.