Chapter 12

TW in the Description
Thank you to _Chooarts_ for this piece!
Alberto POV

Luca struggling in a steel net. His eyes wide, his screaming desperate.

Luca looking down at the harpoon that pierced his chest, watching the blood drain from his body.

Luca dead in Alberto's arms.

Alberto's eyes shot open. He was covered in sweat, and his heart raced. The nightmares were always the same, Luca in some kind of peril while Alberto was helpless to do anything. He started to expect these nightmares, but tonight was one of the worst. It felt like a poison had crept into his mind and wouldn't fade. If anything, it seemed to be getting stronger.

He sat up and held to the sides of his bed until his heart calmed.

"You can't go on like this..." He whispered to himself in the dark.

The sun hadn't yet risen when Alberto dressed and left the house. He pined a note to the kitchen fridge telling everyone he was out on a run and not to worry.

He let his bare feet take him up the familiar path on the hillside. The hospital was the only building with its lights on this early.

"I can't believe I'm doing this," Alberto said into the thin morning air. But he was desperate. Desperate to know more about why his heart and mind were broken. And why Luca had rejected him.

He knocked on the glass loudly until a startled-looking woman ran up.

"Sir, we are closed!" She barked. Alberto was too tired to care.

"I need to talk to Mattias." He said.

"That's Doctor Romano to you - and you will need to make an appointment like everybody else." She hissed, trying to close the door on him.

He slammed a hand on the glass with a loud smack!

"Tell him it's Alberto." He growled. "Or I'll break through this door myself."

He didn't know where this anger was coming from. This wasn't him. But he didn't care. All he wanted was answers. No matter the cost.

The lady blanched at the threat but held her ground.

"You cannot break this glass, sir; it is reinforced. You'll have to make an appoint—"

"Pour a glass of water on me and then tell me I can't break through this glass," Alberto said, losing his patience.

Now the woman took a step back, her eyes wide.

"Woah Woah Woah!" A familiar voice called. "Cool the jets, my fishy friend. No need to get grumpy on us." Mattias walked to them, the same arrogant smile pasted onto his face.

"I need to talk to you," Alberto said plainly. "Now."

"Easy easy, I knew you'd be coming to me at some point. I didn't expect it this soon, though." He turned to the woman. "Irena, go ahead and move my appointments to later today."

"But-" She looked from Alberto to Mattias.

"I know you can make the schedule work, Irena. I believe in you!" Mattias said, already walking away, putting his arm around Alberto's shoulder and leading him inside.

Irena stood dumbfounded, looking helplessly at the schedule.

Alberto rolled his eyes. "Working for you must be hell," he said, pitying the staff.

"It comes with its ups and downs," Mattias said without any hint of remorse. "But I'm glad you came." He squeezed Alberto on the shoulders.

Alberto jerked his hand away.