Chapter 3

Art provided by @Inkendz
TW in the description

LUCA POV

Over the next three days, Giulia put the two Sireni hard to work. They were making posters, tying banners, and measuring the exact distance for the swimming portion of the race. She even made them go door to door, handing out flyers to remind everyone that the race was still on. There would be a gathering in the square a few days before the race where the sponsor would explain the rules and hand everyone a map of the race track along the island.

On the day of the big announcement, Luca noticed Giulia wasn't her bubbly self. She kept twisting her curly hair over and over and looking around nervously.

"Hey, this place looks great." He said, gesturing to the stage they had built and the multitude of decorations they had hung around the square.

"I know, but what if nobody comes? They will find out that I am the new sponsor, and nobody will show." She said, starting to pace on the makeshift stage.

"Well, they better show," Alberto called as he secured a large banner that said,

PORTOROSSO CUP
SHOW US WHAT YOU'RE MADE OF!
SWIM, BIKE, AND EAT PASTA!

"We have busted our butts getting this all ready. If they don't, I'll knock on doors and drag them out myself." He finished with an evil grin.

Luca laughed. "We won't need to, Alberto. They will come."

The clock tower in the center of town rang twelve times. It was noontime for the big announcement. Giulia looked around nervously.

"Look!" Luca pointed, his body light with excitement.

Sure enough, dozens of kids came running around the corner and stood in front of them on the stage. Luca heard Giulia let out a long breath of relief.

"Luca waved to them sheepishly. Many of the youngsters openly pointed at them, saying,

"They're the Underdogs! They won this race before!"

This was usually followed by several "ooooh's" and open stares. After the kids had gathered, their parents not far behind, Giulia started the announcements.

"Welcome to the Portorosso Cup!" Giulia shouted so loudly she made Luca jump.

As she spoke, Luca watched many of the parents pointing at them. He wasn't sure what they were saying, but it made his face turn red anyway.

"Once they get used to you, they'll stop staring so much," Alberto said, sidling over to him and whispering so only Luca could hear. Giulia continued explaining the rules to the crowd loudly.

"Why are they staring so much?" Luca said, trying not to move his lips as not to interpret Giulia.

"You're like me. A Sireno. They're already used to me being around. You're kinda new. And Portorosso has had a lot of people move in since you left. It'll go away." Alberto said, nudging him on the shoulder reassuringly.

Luca gulped and tried not to let the pointing and the whispering bother him.

Giulia finished her announcement and was flooded with kids handing over their sign-up sheets and participation fees. She hurriedly collected them, and the crowd began to dissipate. Just as she gathered the last sign-up sheet, a loud voice spoke behind them.

"Wow, the Underdogs unite again. Che Patetico."

Luca spun around to see a group of five men approaching. The one that had spoken to them walked in front. Luca noticed that he was lavishly dressed with his black hair styled professionally. He had a haughty air to him and was, in a way, charmingly handsome.