Chapter 13

"Hey Harry!" Colin made a beeline for them, looking about as tousled as Harry had been in the tunnel. "Where have you been? I was taking pictures of a tree, but then it tried to hit me!" Colin paused only long enough to take a breath and point at the jar of Cockroach Clusters. "Have you been collecting bugs? I didn't see you on the grounds."

Harry dropped the jar so it exploded on the castle floor. He nudged the motionless bugs with his foot. "Bugger off!"

Luna fixed the jar with a wave of her wand. "Those are from Honeydukes. Some fifth-years hid some in my shoes. I meant to give them to you, Harry, but I stepped on them."

Harry stepped on one of the cockroaches in response.

"Did you get those from Hogsmeade?" Colin looked awed rather than annoyed at being left behind. "Did you see the Shrieking Shack, Harry? It's supposed to be the most haunted place in Britain, but you're friends with the Baron, so I think you'd be okay."

Even as he talked, Colin shivered slightly at the prospect of the shack. Ginny, too, seemed rather uncomfortable and said "Don't get any ideas, Harry."

At Remus's look, Ginny's face turned as red as her hair; it had been her idea to sneak out, after all. "Are you going to tell Mum and Dad?" she asked, clearly fearing she'd face a Howler or more wrath than Fred and George would have. Padfoot shook his head. James would have been highly disappointed if Harry and his friends hadn't snuck out of the castle.

Harry vigorously shook a finger at Ginny in a manner very similar to Molly's scolding.

"Have you met Helena?" Luna asked. "She says Sir Nicholas speaks highly of you, Harry, but you haven't given her a present. I'd suggest a book. Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."

Harry made the book sign over and over in a chomping fashion. Peeves appeared as if summoned, holding a snapping, stolen copy of The Monster Book of Monsters. The leather belt that had tied the book shut dangled from the poltergeist's other hand.

Peeves grinned wickedly, feinting that he'd drop the biting book on their heads. "Has haughty Helena read this?"

"It's not like it could hurt her," Ginny raised her own wand defensively.

"Throw it in Moping Myrtle's loo." Peeves sang. Harry didn't even flinch when Peeves dropped the book, or when it scuttled towards his feet, snapping its pages. The Monster Book crunched several of the cockroach clusters between its pages, and Harry just laughed.

The book calmed when Harry stroked its spine, and let Harry cradle it. Ginny shook her head in disbelief "You love those monsters but you hate Crookshanks."

Harry eagerly took Peeves' suggestion to heart. He tossed The Monster Book of Monsters in Myrtle's loo, and she emerged shrieking until she saw who it was. Padfoot dragged Harry out before Myrtle started flirting with him again.

Luna led Harry toward the library to find another book to show Helena. Harry stroked more spines, exploring the library more tactilely than visually. He eventually chose, seemingly at random, books on astronomy and arithmancy.

As Luna helped Harry check out, Madame Pince warned him that books weren't to go in lavatories.

"It's for a ghost," Luna was unabashed. "Helena."

Helena Ravenclaw was rather taciturn, but, in Padfoot's opinion, an vastly better choice than Moaning Myrtle or the Bloody Baron. Harry thrust the astronomy book through Helena, while Luna shared some facts about the stars.

Even as Padfoot, Sirius couldn't hang around Harry constantly. It was too weird for a fully-grown man to sleep in a room with teenage boys, even as a dog.