Chapter 6

She's tired, and for some reason also cold

She's tired, and for some reason also cold. This morning Melody woke up shivering and wondering if she had left her window open again, but found it closed and locked. She thought it was the cold finally catching up to her and decided to wear a grey spaghetti strap shirt with hummingbirds on it paired with black pants, her black boots and a black leather jacket. She had clumsily pulled her hair back into a messy ponytail.

Charlotte had raised her eyebrow at her outfit, having only seen her daughter in dresses and skirts since moving to Forks, but had kept quiet about it as she had seen the expression on her daughters face.

She manages not to scare off anyone in school, however people do seem to step out of her way when they see her. She thinks about skipping lunch, but her stomach protests the thought.

"It's La Push, baby, La Push," Melody hears Eric say as she reaches the table. Bella turns to smile at her before removing her backpack from the chair she was saving for Melody.

"I'll go if you stop saying it like that," the brunette laughs before standing up and making her way to the salad bar.

"You guys going to La Push?" Melody asks, Mike is already pulling her chair out for her which causes her to groan internally. Seems like going with Jessica to prom isn't going to deter him.

"Yeah, wanna come?" Angela asks.

"Yeah," maybe she'll get to see Seth, Leah, or Jacob again. She gets up to join Bella at the salad bar. She hears the girl chuckle and shake her head as she looks somewhere behind Melody's shoulder. The redhead turns to look at what her friend is staring at and curses when she sees Edward Cullen in all his glory coming towards her. She turns to silently beg Bella to stay with her, but the girl only winks at her before leaving.

Melody groans before reaching for an apple. She's trying to find a way to escape the awkward conversation she's sure she's going to have when she notices black shoes next to her. Her hand knocks the apple when she startles, but Edward bounces it off his shoe and presents it back to her.

"Hi," the boy says, a smirk already playing on his lips.

Melody shakes her head before picking up another apple and moving around him to the other side of the bar. Edward follows close behind.

When she realizes that he's not going to say nothing else, Melody sighs and turns her body to look at him directly in the eyes. "You know, your moodswings are starting to give me whiplash."

"I only said it would be better if we weren't friends, not that I didn't want to be," he moves closer to Melody, grabbing a piece of hair that slipped from her ponytail and twirls it around his finger. For a moment Melody is mesmerized by him, the way his jaw ticks every few seconds as he thinks about what to say to the way he fights with himself not to lean even closer to her. She quickly snatches her hair out of his grasp when she remembers where they're at.