Chapter 1

"Melody Fae Jones!" The girl sighs, her mother only uses her full name when she's angry or in a hurry. "Come here, I'm about to hand the key over to the landlord and then we leave," a woman yells.

A fair, redheaded, green eyed, seventeen year old girl stands in the middle of what used to be her room in Reno, Nevada. Her mother, Charlotte Jones, and Melody were moving to Forks, Washington. Grandma Hester had passed away and left the deed to the house to her only child, Charlotte.

Melody doesn't remember a lot about the woman, only that she smelled of lavender and used to tell her all kinds of stories. She also remembers that once she turned eleven her mother decided they were not going to travel to Forks anymore to see her.

"Coming," Melody says, sighing one more time before closing the door and joining her mom.

"This will be good for us," Charlotte says, smiling at her daughter as her red hair moves with the wind. "Besides, I missed Forks," the older woman says with a hint of melancholy in her voice.

Melody feels for her mom, she does. Charlotte Jones met Noah Uley when she was sixteen and he eighteen and fell completely in love with him. After a year of dating Charlotte got pregnant and Hester Jones was not happy about it. A terrified seventeen year old Charlotte was kicked out and Noah decided that moving to Nevada would be their best move.

It turned out it wasn't. Because two months before Melody was born Noah decided that being a parent was not something he wanted and decided to leave a very pregnant, distraught Charlotte behind. She didn't want to go back crying to her mother, so Charlotte did what she did best and pulled through. She'd been going to night school to try to get her nursing degree and graduated as best as a mother of a four year old at that time could.

When Melody had asked her mom why she didn't have her father's last name, Charlotte had answered, "if he didn't want us then he doesn't deserve to be acknowledged as your father." Melody didn't ask about her father again.

She also didn't ask her mom why they stopped visiting Grandma Hester, but Melody can something bad must've happened as Melody had witnessed Charlotte shed tears while she drove away from Forks.

To get from Reno to Forks is a thirteen hour drive. The two Jones woman decide they will drive all the way to Portland, Oregon where they will grab a motel to sleep, then drive the remaining four hours to Forks the next day. They will, of course take a couple of breaks to eat, stretch their legs, and go to the restroom.

Melody spends her time reading her old, tattered copy of Pride and Prejudice, while Charlotte hums to the music the radio plays.

"We're here," Charlotte says, a small smile playing upon her lips a she looks upon her childhood home. There's a swing hanging from a tree that brings back memories of laughter and gentle hands.

From what Melody can tell nothing has changed since the last time they visited, and she relishes in the knowledge. "Why don't you go unpack some of your stuff while I wait for the moving truck to get here with the rest of our things," Charlotte encourages Melody.

The girl nods and grabs her suitcases. She pauses on the porch and gently touches the rocking chairs she helped decorate during her last visit to her grandmother. She can still see her name in purple paint written in her messy handwriting.

She slowly makes her way inside and is immediately greeted by the living room that still has the same dark brown, leather couch and light purple armchairs she remembers.

Photos of Melody and Charlotte line the entertainment center; she doesn't miss the latest one her mother and her took for Christmas being in there. Atleast Charlotte still sent her mother pictures and updates about her granddaughter.