c h a p t e r / o n e

b r i e l l e

"Bri!" 

Ugh. I've been in my bed all day, and the very last thing I want to hear right n-

"Brielle! Come in here please!" Dad's been working for hours. What could he possibly want from me? I've been out of his way all day. 

I let myself roll off my bed into a pile of limbs on the floor before getting up and walking to the kitchen. On my way, I let out a long yawn that makes a weird noise in my throat. 

"You called?" I monotonously reply. I'm standing in the kitchen doorway, rubbing my face. 

"Yeah, I did. What have you been doing all day? Have you even eaten?" Dad looks up at me from his computer screen. He runs an online surf shop and has been placing and sending out orders literally since breakfast this morning. 

"Uhhh," I pretend to think, even though I've done nothing but sit around in my bedroom. I didn't even shower today, which is rare for me, and I haven't eaten in a few hours.  "Nothing, and no."

"Well, I'd like you to get out of the house and do something. Anything. Please." His gaze returns to his computer as he begins typing up an email. "Or, you can come sit right here," He pulls out the stool next to him at the kitchen counter. "And help me with orders." A sarcastic smile slides onto his face and I can tell he does not want my help. I know nothing about business. 

"Dad, like I've been telling you, I literally know no one on this island. No one. Who am I supposed to do something with?" I remain at my place in the doorway, flinging my arm out as I speak in an attempt to show him how annoyed I am. 

"Honey, we've been living here for almost a month now. How do you not know anyone? Not one single person?" He's still typing away on his laptop. I can hear the same annoyed tone in his voice. 

"I mean, it's the middle of summer so it's not like I have any school friends. I just haven't met anyone yet." Now I understand why he's worried for me. 

"Well, go meet someone then!" He looks at me now. "Grab a bite to eat at The Wreck or something." He pinches the bridge of his nose and shuts his eyes. "Just- just find something to do that doesn't involve your phone or your bedroom." 

I can tell he's done with me. I decide not to argue and give him a snarky "okay" and head back to my room. 

I lazily pull open my closet doors and browse through my wardrobe only to land on the same thing I wear every single day. A random t-shirt that's way too big for me, and one of the million pairs of ripped denim shorts I own. I slip on my red Converse, tie my hair up, and grab my wallet and phone. I flick off my light switch and head out the back door of my house, not feeling like talking to dad right now. 

I take the brief five minute walk from my house right by the beach to The Wreck. I'm met with a cheerful "ding!" of the door when I open it and take a seat by myself at the counter. I bounce and spin around on the red cushioned stools and wait to be served.

"Hi," I hear a small voice say. Turning back around and putting my elbows on the counter, I see a girl who looks to be about my age standing ready with a note pad and pen in her hand. "I'm Kiara. I can take your order." She gives me a gentle grin and fixes her headband.

"Oh, um," I panic slightly. "Hi. I've never actually been here before, so I'm not sure what to get. What do you recommend?" 

"Well," she drags out the word. "What are you in the mood for? There's tons of stuff on the menu." She reaches behind herself to grab a laminated paper and slides it onto the counter in front of me.