Chapter 23 - FULL MOON

Julian finally freed himself from the ropes tying him and rushed to untie Anne. They rushed to the mouth of the cave and found that the water was deep, they were cut off from land totally the only way to get back was to swim. They were both stunned by an amazing full moon over the sea, so bright it almost turned night into day.

''I'm glad to have such a bright moon tonight, it will help me see where I'm going when I swim back to shore'' Julian said  

''Please Ju you can't do it, it's dangerous, you might drown'' poor Anne said tearfully

''No, I won't drown. I'm a strong swimmer and the water is calm tonight. I have to do this Anne what other choice is there?''

''Ok but I'm coming too''

Julian shook his head firmly ''You're not a strong enough swimmer, it will be faster and safer if I go on my own''

''Ju please i',m scared. I don't want to be left here alone in this cave''

Julian hugged his sister and gave her a kiss on the forehead

''You have to trust me'' he said ''I'm going to go and get help. You won't be here for long. Anne, you have to trust me and be brave for me. Just hold on here a little while and I'll bring help back to get you''

''I do trust you'' she told him  ''And I'll be brave. Just be careful Ju, please. I know you're a strong swimmer but please I don't want you to drown 

Back at the caravan, Ryan was admiring the full moon from the doorway of the caravan

''I'm sure one of you will tell me what's going on here right?'' he said to the others

''Who said anything was going on here?'' Jake said nervously

''It's fairly obvious guys, you all looked like rabbits in the headlights when I came in''

Arnie took a deep breath and looked nervously at Ryan

''I've told them everything'' he said ''the whole lot of it''

''How can you be so stupid?'' Ryan demanded angrily

''Because I've had enough of this now. I want it to end here''

Arnie was very tired now, it was obvious to everyone in the room that he had had enough and wanted to end the whole thing. His face was a picture of misery, regret, sadness, and remorse which almost made Jake, Fanny, and Quentin feel sorry for him.

Almost

But he could have ended it a long time ago, or not even started to begin with. It was clear that he was the reason Ryan was so messed up, as he admitted himself. They could feel empathy but not sympathy

''I want us to hand ourselves into the police son'' Arnie continued ''Julian and Anne can be rescued from the cave and George can be set free. It's the best thing to do, the right thing''

Ryan shocked everyone by taking a gun out of his hoody pocket

''You might think that father, I have other ideas''

The others looked at Ryan scared and wondering if he would use that gun. He was certainly capable of it.

Julian swam around the headland and arrived at the bay. He knew he could do it. The strong moonlight and the fact the ocean was so calm tonight helped him. The fact that he was a very strong swimmer and fearless in the sea helped too.

The boy Peter and his sister Janet were on the beach with scamper enjoying the moonlight when Janet saw something that startled her

''Bro look at that'' she said and pointed at the boy running out of the water

''He must be mad swimming in that water now'' Peter said ''the water must be freezing''

Scamper, ever excitable and friendly ran over to say hello to Julian. 

''Hey boy how are you'' Julian said and gave Scamper a stroke

''Hey you, I say are you mad or something?'' Peter asked as he and his sister approached Julian ''Why are you swimming at night like that, you could have drowned or got sick from the cold''

''I know what I'm doing, you needn't worry about me'' Julian told them ''And now I must dash. It was nice to meet your dog, he is a very friendly dog like my brother's dog Timmy''

Julian gave Scamper another stroke and raced off like superman on a mission

''What an odd boy'' Janet said as they watched him go ''Nice but most unusual'' 

''Probably a bit funny in the head you know'' Peter said meanly ''There is a mental hospital nearby remember, he probably escaped from there''

''Janet gave her brother a playful punch on the arm ''Oh you're always so mean'' she scolded him ''Oh well come on Scamper home time''  

''Yes, we have a meeting in the shed with the others first thing tomorrow morning'' Peter said looking at his watch ''let's go home, have dinner and grab an early night'' 

And the three of them walked away into the night, looking forward to going home and having their dinner.

Julian ran up to the caravan and realized something was seriously wrong when he arrived outside. He could hear Ryan shouting inside

''I'M JUST GOING TO KILL THE LOT OF YOU AND GO TO MAINLAND EUROPE ON MY MOTORBOAT!'' he yelled at them ''AND I'VE DECIDED TO TAKE ANNE WITH ME! I WON'T KILL HER BECAUSE I LOVE HER AND SHE BELONGS WITH ME! I WILL MAKE HER SEE SENSE AND WE WILL BE TOGETHER! I WILL PROBABLY KILL JULIAN THOUGH AS I DON'T LIKE HIM!''

''STOP THIS AT ONCE'' Arnie yelled back at Ryan ''WE'VE DONE ENOUGH DAMAGE, CAN'T YOU SEE IT HAS TO END NOW TONIGHT? WE HAVE TO END THIS HERE AND WE HAVE TO TURN OURSELVES IN''

''AND GO TO PRISON FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES? ARE YOU MAD? FORGET THAT I WILL NEVER HAND MYSELF IN''    

Ryan didn't notice Julian creeping into the caravan from behind him, ready to pounce on him. The others were facing Julian, they saw him but kept silent.