{37}Long Ride

¿Chapter 37?
Long Ride

Dedicated to Felicitysunflower_19

?•¿•?•¿

4:00pm February 3rd, 2020

Melania has been doing her thing for the past five years. She's been working as a nurse for a private hospital, she bought a four bedroom house and a better car, got her mental health in check and she has been feeling the best she's ever been.
Before entering her house, she checked the box for mail and she had a few. While laying in her self-bought luxury, she took that time to go through the mail. Most of them were statements from the bank which wasn't really important but the last mail was actually a hand-written letter.
Unusual, she thought. She never received letters of this nature. If someone wanted to reach out, they would email or call. Perhaps it was a secret admirer.

Anyway, despite the questions that riddled her mind she opened it nonetheless. It was only one page, but she went on with reading its contents.

?•¿•?•¿•?

Dear Melania,
I don't even know what to write, It's been such a long time. You must be with another dude right now, I've always wanted that for you. You deserved better, I felt that pushing you away was better was better for you. He had an activity to write a letter to someone we cared about, and you we're the only person I could think of.
I'm going free on the 6th of this month, if you're not busy with your new life. So, maybe if you're free This is weird, using a letter as my only form of communication-- ugh!!
What I'm saying is.. I would like to see you, even if it's for the last time. I feel like I owe you that.
That's.. pretty much all I have to say for now.
Love,
Enrique

?•¿•?•¿•

"Oh my.." She dropped the letter on the coffee table. She didn't know what to do. And so, she called her friends.
"Hey!!"
"Wassup girl?"
"Hi loves.. I got a letter.." she spoke.
"A letter- ooh could it be that secret admirer type of shit?" Asked Ashanti.
"No.. it's actually from Enrique."
"Ooohh damn.." Ronella muttered.
"So um... What did it say?"
"He's getting released three days from now.."
"And are you going?" Ronella asked.
"Do you think I should?"
"Yeah for.. closure purposes." Said Ashanti.
"Well.. alright."
"We can through a lil get together tho.. just us and our man dem. Catch up on stuff."
"That would be nice. Gotta go. Love ya." She hung up.

?•¿•?•¿

5:30pm February 6th, 2020

She called the detention centre a few days before to confirm the day of his release and it was so. She also asked them not to let Enrique know that she called. The drive was several hours long so it took some time to get there and when she got there her heart was racing like crazy. She identified herself to the guards and was told to wait for him to come out

?•¿•?•¿

Enrique's eyes shot open to the sound of wood clanking on the iron bars of the cell. He hates when the officers did that. It takes him back when he first broke out of prison.

It also made him ask hinself, should he have left Melania alone?

Would she have been better off without him?

How is she doing now?

Does she have kids?

"Oi, I'm talking to you!" Shouted the officer.
"Huh? You said something? Sorry."
"Get out and go get your clothes it's time to go."
"The bus is here?"
"I don't know. Just do as I say."

So, she answered the letter?

Wait, did she even get the letter?

"Yeah, I understand." He got up and followed the officer to the storage facility that had all his clothes and belongings. A drawer was opened and he was given the clothes he first came here with. A black T-shirt, dark jeans and timberlands. He was sent off to go change and came back dressed then proceeded to follow the officer to the front gate.
"As of today, you are no longer a prisoner." Said the officer as he removed the cuffs that left a mark on his wrists over the years.

On the road he saw an expensive car and a woman leaning on it, he couldn't make out her face where she was standing. Hesitantly, he approched her. When he got closer and saw her face his heart stopped.

?•¿•?•¿

     Melania waled closer to him, he had a redicoulously long beard and she wanted to laugh so hard but she held it in. He looked so silly.

"Hi Enrique." She said.
"Melania..hey." He said, finding it hard to maintain eye contact.
"I got your letter."
"I thought you wouldn't come, especially after I shut you down like that. I thought you moved on, got married, had a family—"
"Hold it right there." She tried to hold in a laugh. "I just went to therapy and changed hospitals.. It's honestly not a big change."
"Oh.." He chuckled.
"Well.. let's get going.. shall we?"
"Yeah.. it's getting dark."

   They got in the car and she began to drive.
"So.. how's the guys?"
"Out of trouble. Thought you might like to see for yourself."
"Alright.. and how's the girls?"
"With the guys, holding them down pretty nicely."
"I love that for them."
"I love that for them, too."

"I'm sorry." He said out of the blue. It caught her by surprise and she stopped the car.
"You deserve better, Melania. And I'll be better, I promise. It'll take some time but—" He was cut off by her lips crashing onto his.
"I know. You deserve all the things good in this world because what happened to you was not justifiable. So let's start all over, together."
"Yeah," He wiped his eyes. It was the first time she saw him cry. It made him feel more human when she saw him. "Together."
"And when we get home, shave that beard. You look like that one uncle that always shows up late to the function drunk."
"Goddamn, Mel. You really know how to mess up the moment."
"I've been holding it in since you left the prison."
He sighed as he stroked his beard.
"Let's go home, babe."

Epilogue in coming!!!