Chapter 9: Goodnight, Mikasa

Less than 24 hours after the capture of Annie, Elysian is travelling solo towards Wall Rose, carrying extra blades and gas for the veterans that are stationed there. Thomas had returned and warned Erwin of a titan invasion from a possible breach in Wall Rose, and since Elysian was capable and currently not involved in any affairs, she was sent to deliver extra canisters. It was unlikely that she would arrive as soon as was needed, but their supplies should be fine until then. It was oddly peaceful to be travelling alone and she enjoyed the wind in her face and the only sound being that of her horses hooves on the grass. When Thomas had arrived and reported it it had been twelve hours since the first sightings, and so Elysian was chasing time; she needed to get there quickly.

As night fell over Utgard Castle, the members of the 104th in the south and west teams were resting. Elysian had arrived as they were inspecting supplies written in a foreign language, bringing a few extra blades and gas canisters to the veterans. She also had ODM gear with her, so it would be extra supplies for her too if needs be. The cadets were exhausted but restless - it must have been roughly the early hours of the morning, but the anxiety of what was to come was keeping them awake. A shout from above demanded that the cadets barricade the doors, and they did so as Elysian ran up the stairs onto the roof.

"Titans spotted." Lynne said. The veterans were staring incredulously down at the titans moving towards the castle.

"That should be impossible. Titans don't move at night." Henning replied. Crashing from inside the castle indicated that the cadets had barricaded the door, at least for now.

"We have to get rid of them. Elysian, you too." She nodded and the five of them leapt off the side of the castle, a mess of wires and swords as they fought.

Inside the castle, Reiner was clutching his injured arm and Connie had adrenaline rushing through his veins. They had had to get rid of smaller titans that had infiltrated the castle, and Reiner had gotten injured saving Connie. They could hear the sounds of gas and swords outside and could see titans falling. It had dawned on them all that they were essentially defenceless, and all of their lives were in the hands of five people. For safety, they all headed to the roof of the castle, where the titans couldn't get to but stopped just inside the top of the staircase as Lynne and Henning arrived to check on them. They barely got through the first sentence before a series of massive boulders smashed into the castle, knocking both soldiers off their feet. Their limp bodies lay a few metres from where they originally stood with blood dribbling down the back of their heads into a puddle. Several of the cadets gasped and rushed forwards, only to realise that they were both dead, killed on impact.

Two hours later, Nanaba, Gelgar and Elysian returned to the top of the castle, drenched in sweat and out of gas and blades. Everyone notices too late that Gelgar has a head injury, and he stumbles backwards and over the wall, into the awaiting hands of a titan. Moving without thinking, Nanaba jumps off after him.

"Nanaba wait, you need-" Elysian was cut off by Nanaba's screams and pleas. Looking down, she saw her being pulled in three directions by titans, and heard a chilling rip as she was ripped limb from limb. "Gas. You need more gas." Elysian stood in horrified shock for a moment before stepping back, not wanting to see the bloody remains and the titans clawing at the wall. She is the only one left with gear, and behind her was a group of helpless soldiers. For a moment everything was quiet, and then Ymir appeared beside her, surrounded by the other cadets.

"Oi, Elysian. Give us a hand here, would you?" Elysian looked at her with a puzzled expression. Ymir jumped off the castle, and a moment later a crack of lightning burst from where she was. Ymir in her titan form jumped into the hordes of titans below, ripping their napes out and killing them faster than most soldiers. Elysian grinned and quickly shoved new gas and swords into her canister and scabbard before following Ymir off the castle's edge.