Chapter 7: Eren

Elysian didn't open her eyes again for over an hour. She sat and listened to the veterans and Eren arguing, sort of paying attention but also letting her mind drift and wander. The only reason she cracked them open again was because the sounds of the titans fingers digging into the trees got closer, and upon further inspection, it seems a titan was climbing up in between two trees. It's entire body was shaking from the stress of hauling itself up but its eyes never moved from the soldiers, massive orbs locked onto the figures. The veteran soldiers didn't pay it any attention and continued bickering among themselves while Elysian slumped back against the tree and watched the pathetic creature attempt to climb until it eventually fell back onto the ground. Everything was pretty peaceful, until a shattering roar erupted from inside the forest, shaking the birds from the trees and making everyone jump. It lasted only a moment before it was gone and dozens of sets of footsteps replaced it. Every titan in the surrounding area was storming into the forest, completely ignoring the soldiers perched above them. For several minutes, the sound of titan screams and gurgles alongside the whoosh of ODM gear could be heard from all angles, until a blue flare appeared above them.

"Withdrawal. We'll head back to HQ on horseback." Nanaba said. Elysian pulled herself to her feet and stretched, relief threading through the atmosphere around the cadets as many cracked massive smiles at the good news.

"Alright, chop chop and saddle up. We're heading home." Another veteran added, leading the veteran squad and Eren back into the forest while the rest of them headed back down to where their horses were, saddling up in just a few minutes and heading back out and back the way they came, Elysian once again watching the trees as they went past.

"If we're heading back, that means the operation was a success, right?" Jean asked.

"Hardly," Armin replied, "if we're heading back, that could mean Erwin has discovered the female titans identity.'' They continued going, heading all the way back over the hills they came over hours ago, past the big trees and the rubble, until they met up with the centre squads. Pulling her horse to a stop, Elysian couldn't help but notice the dozens of bodies covered in cloths, blood staining them, laid side by side with Levi standing over a group of them. She dismounted her horse and fed her, gently rubbing her nose as she held the barrel of grain. She quite liked her horse and was oddly relaxed around her. She left a mental note to find a name for her later, but for now she let her eat and rest. The cadets also had a small break before they were off again, horses running alongside the carriages carrying the dead and injured. Mikasa stayed glued next to the wagon Eren was resting in and Elysian stayed to the side, watching the trees and grass roll into smooth hills as they ran. She felt a sense of pity for her friend, staring down at the unconscious body of her adopted brother with regret and a familiar sort of anger blazing in her black eyes. She wished silently to herself for Erens recovery, not because she cared for him, but because she cared for Mikasa and Armin. 

It wasn't long before another problem arose, however, and it came in the form of two soldiers who had gone back for the corpse of their comrade leading two large abnormal titans towards the group.

"You've gotta be fucking kidding me," Elysian groaned. One of the titans slowed down after it grabbed one of the men, but the other continued running, and several more appeared behind it. They were catching up fast and nobody was moving to stop them.

"Dump the bodies," Levi said, earning him several horrified stares. "It's extra weight. Drop the bodies." Everybody turned and watched as the bodies tumbled out of the wagons only to be crushed under the feet of the titans and lost forever. Stealing a glance over at Levi, Elysian could see the cold sadness in his eyes as he watched the bodies tumble away before they both turned back to face the front, the titans now falling behind and eventually disappearing. They kept going until the walls came back into sight, getting closer and closer until they slowed down to go back through the gate, back into Wall Sina. Elysian watched the townspeople come out to see them return, disgust and disappointment spread across their faces as lines of soldiers and wagons streamed back in.