Chapter 3: Hanji

Kenny was both pissed and amazed when he woke the next morning to find a note on Elysians bed and her room looking like it had been ransacked. Almost all the draws she had were pulled open with their contents missing, from her water bottle to extra clothing. He ignored the mess and pulled open the note. Her handwriting was barely legible but he got the message. Her note read:

"Gone. See Levi. Sorry. Be Back."

Kenny had suspected that she would go after Levi, but he didn't expect her to run off in the middle of the night. Fuck, she didn't even know where Levi was or what the world above was like. He didn't care to admit it, but he had grown quite fond of Elysian; it was nice to have someone to come home to, to train and drink with. She was the spitting image of him in every way, and he was proud of it. Sure, she had said she would come back, but there was a good chance she wouldn't, what with the titans up above and the constant threats, she didn't know how to handle life on the surface. But she was strong, smart and capable of surviving by herself, so the worry he had for her lasted little more than a moment before he had left her room and gone to make himself something that resembled breakfast.

Meanwhile, Elysian is slowly making her way up onto the surface. She had got back from drinking with her father at five in the morning, and as soon as she had heard her fathers door close and his obnoxiously loud snores roll through the house, she had shoved all her possessions into a tattered old rucksack and left. She made it to the opening to the surface at about 8am, her head pounding and her legs begging for rest, but she couldn't stop now. She knew her father most likely wouldn't care that she had left, but he could still come after her. She continued trudging on, slowly making her way out of the underground, and the first thing to hit her is the sunlight. It's glaring, bright white and warm. It covers her entire body like a blanket, warming her, and it's quite nice. Shielding her eyes, she continues going until she's stood above ground. Compared to the stuffy and dusty underground, just standing here, bathed in sunlight with a very gentle breeze blowing, she feels relieved. It's almost like she's free. Surrounding her are small brick built houses and a few people out. The sky is a soft orange, so she suspects it's either very early or the evening is just beginning, and most things will be either opening or closing soon. Her father had taught her the basics surrounding the walls when she was younger, and from the posh and clean look of things, as well as the fancy dress the people around her were wearing, she assumed she was in wall Sina. people here were rich and rude, and wouldn't take kindly to her scoundrel presence, so she quickly looked around for any pointers she could find. She is here to see Levi. maybe someone could point her in his direction? She assumed he had the last name Ackerman too, and decided to just ask, and see if anyone knew him.

A short, stout woman with a tightly pulled bun came out of a house, a little purse clutched in her hand. Her skirts were clean and crisp, with a high collared shirt and apron. "Posh asshole." Elysian thought to herself. She gritted her teeth and walked toward the woman, fully aware that, compared to her, she looked grim; she had on plain trousers that were very worn at the knees, her black shirt and a heavy hooded coat. The woman stopped as Elysian got closer and looked both disgusted and fearful, but thankfully didn't run.

"Excuse me..uh, ma'am. Have you heard of a Levi Ackerman around here?" she spoke. She was well aware she probably sounded rude, but she didn't really care. The woman turned her nose up at Elysian and spoke curtly.

"Do you mean Captain Levi Ackerman? Of the Survey Corps?"

"Is there another Levi Ackerman around, besides this Captain?"

"I don't think so." this ladies tone was very, very, quickly getting on Elysians nerves. She was speaking to her the way people spoke to stray dogs, curtly and with her nose turned away. The temptation to slit this ladies throat was very quickly growing, and her fingers twitched towards the knife at her belt.