Chapter 2

I spent my two days wisely, learning how to fly, how to hide, Clara tested me and by the end of the time I was more than ready.

I hadn't changed back into my fae body, I liked this body better, it gave me more freedom, and caused me less pain.

My father held out his hand and I landed on it. He clasped a tiny ash wood anklet above my left talon.

"So, you can't change back," he told me before he put me on his shoulder and covered my small body with his hair.

"When we get there, you do not linger by me," he told me before wind whipped around us.

As soon as the wind died out, I flew away from him and circled high above, looking for a place to perch for the meeting.

The room my father walked into was open to the elements which made my job easier. I was suddenly parched; I had been too nervous to eat or drink anything today.

I saw a pool in the middle of the ring of High Lords and I couldn't help flying down and drinking a little.

"What the..." A male voice started.

I looked up and saw eyes pressing in on me. If I was in my fae form I would be blushing but as a bird I couldn't do that, I flew outside again and perched on the roof instead, shoot.

Could birds cry? As no tears fell, I was going to guess no but I still wasn't used to being a bird.

I told myself to calm down and do my job. I hopped down from the roof and found a small rock ledge that allowed me to look into the chamber.

"Rhysand, you wanted to talk about human integration?" A dark-skinned male said to a male with violet eyes.

"Yes, almost all of the courts have successfully integrated with humans and all species are thriving. Autumn and Spring have yet to even try taking in any humans, surely the success in the rest of our courts is proof enough that integration would be beneficial." The violet eyed male, Rhysand, said.

My father looked furious along with an old male seated to his left.

"We can't all be as successful as the supreme Night Court," my father sneered at Rhysand.

So, this was the court I was to avoid at all costs. As I watched the female next to Rhysand stiffened.

"Humans are not a disease Tamlin, all they want is to live happy lives, like the rest of us, and I would like to point out that the Night Court has not been the most successful, the Summer Court has not only taken the most humans in but has prospered the most since, do not let your grudge against me hurt your Court." The female said, a frown on her face.

"Like you did Feyre?" My father snapped at her.

"That was twenty-five years ago, you would have thought we could move past this pettiness," Feyre hissed back.

"Ok you two, arguing is not going to solve anything, but the Night Court is right, Spring and Autumn are losing out by not integrating," the dark-skinned male who started the conversation cut in.

"Maybe the little bird outside would like to give their opinion," a male with a golden crown that looked like the sun said, eyes on me.

Crap, I was so done for. I flew away as fast as my little wings would take me, but something wrapped around my small body, pulling me back. I squeaked in panic, why did father think an ash wood cuff would be a good idea?

I was set on what seemed like solid air above the pool I had drank from, I tapped a talon against it, how did this even work?

I tried to fly away again but I just collided with an invisible barrier. Panic set in, I flew all around, but I was in a cage of air, there was no way I was getting out.

I eventually exhausted myself to the point where all I could do was stand on the strange platform, my wings limp against my body.

"Why does a bird have ash wood on?" Feyre asked, standing.

She sat on the pool's edge and her hand passed through the shield. I tried to get away from her, but I couldn't, and she picked me up.

I struggled but I was too tired to actually do anything. She held my wings gently against my body, letting my legs dangle between her fingers.

This was not supposed to happen. I pecked at her hand, and she tutted.

"Biting is rude," she scolded, and I tweeted at her, glad she couldn't translate.

"I don't think it likes you Feyre," Rhysand laughed.

She shot him a withering glare as she snapped the ash wood off my ankle. Just like before the winds rushed around me, singing to me.

I tweeted in delight, maybe the wind would help me. When it died down again, I sighed to myself, I guess I was on my own.

I pecked at Feyre's hand again and she let me go but when I tried to fly away, I hit another barrier.

"You know little bird, I would like to see what you actually look like," Rhysand said.

This could not be happening. I dared to glance at my father, he was scowling at me.

This could not be happening, why was the sun dude able to spot me so easily, I thought I had been stealthy.

The platform under me suddenly vanished and I was dunked into the water. I flapped my wings as I tried to get to the surface, but I couldn't. I realised this was what they wanted, I couldn't get to the surface as a bird, but as a fish.

I thought about the fish I saw earlier, and my body shifted once more. I could suddenly breath and I was so happy. I swam amongst the other fish, weaving between them.

I knew this only gave me a short time frame to work with, but it gave me a chance to breathe while I thought of a plan to get out.

What if I turned into a massive beast like my father could, but that would expose my identity. I could become a tiny insect and sneak out, that would probably be my best bet.

The water I was in began to rise out of the pool until I was swimming in a floating bubble, Feyre had her hand held out, her finger bent, and the bubble floated over to her.

"You really don't want us to see your true face, do you?" She asked, looking a little amused.

I tried my hardest to glare at her, but a fish glaring isn't overly fun.

"Enough with the shifting games, Rhysand just go into its mind." One of the males behind me said.

Panic set in, he could look inside my mind, this was not good. I would rather die than have someone see my miserable existence, I should have died a long time ago.

I shifted into the small bird again and I could feel the water crushing me. I drew in water instead of air and I was glad that I could pick how I died.