My Friend the Stranger (part 3)

I woke up to the damp cloth that was wiping away my dried tears. My mother looked up to me when she saw my eyes flutter open. "Honey, why have you been crying? Does it still hurt? Tell me where, so I can get those blasted doctors to get you some meds." I sat up slowly, and then closed my eyes again. My mother had expected me to smile. My mother is a very demanding person. But whenever she makes threats or yells at someone other than me, I can't help but laugh at her nature. Now whenever she wanted to make me happy, she would order someone around to make me laugh. So her worry deepened when I didn't laugh, leaving a crease in her forehead. I looked at her then at my little brother who was practically bouncing on the other side of my bed and at a couple of my friends who were visiting. They looked worried about me and my heart reached out to them. I almost started crying again, thinking of the guy's family and friends and how crushed they would all be after they heard of his death.

I shook my head and put on my best smile to entertain her. My friends came and talked, laughed and joked about things to make me feel better and I played along. However, last night's scene kept trudging itself in front of my eyes. To make myself feel better, I thought, at least he wasn't in pain. If he had been screaming and awake during last night's horror, I don't think I would have ever been able to recover. As my guests were leaving, I asked for some alone time with David and Ashley. I saw a smile of relief spread across his face. He hadn't been sure if staying with me alone would be okay after the weird way I was behaving. He kissed me softly and sat next to my bed while Ashley tried making sense of my messed up hair. David held my broken wrist delicately as he examined it. He looked up to me expectantly as did Ashley.

"Can I tell you guys a secret?" My voice was barely more than a squeak. They nodded quietly. Ashley took a seat next to me as well.

"You have to promise not to let anyone know understand?" Their loyal eyes were enough of an answer. "I was somewhere I wasn't supposed to be. Last night I snuck into the ER and I...I." They were afraid to hear more.

"Go on." Ashley pressed.

"I saw someone die." My voice gave out on me and I started to cry again. David held me and rocked me in his arms, while Ashley stroked my hand. "I was being stupid. But you should have seen it. There was so...so much blood. People were yelling and I saw his face, he was so limp. He was our age Ash." I trembled and cried some more.

"Its okay, shush." They both said over and over again. I felt like a deer in headlights. David stroked my hair. I calmed down a little later with their soothing. We were all quiet most of the time, not needing to talk. They left me when I was normal again, although they didn't want to. I saw Ashley talking to my mom and telling her I was distressed over the accident and that it was nothing to worry about. She gave me a meaning full glance on her way out though.

Once I was alone, I could only think about last night's scene. The shouts of doctors trying desperately to save a hopeless case. Then I began to wonder what had happened to him. His face wasn't cut or bruised, but there seemed to be a fountain of blood pouring steadily from his chest. What could have happened? I couldn't stomach my breakfast and when a nurse came to check up on me, she looked worried.I guess I was pale. She took my temperature, blood pressure and a million other things to make sure I was okay. I nodded her away. She almost left, but remembered that she needed to take me down to therapy.Apparently my mother had voiced a complaint about how traumatized I was. This made sure that I went in to see a shrink who would assure me I would be normal again. As I thought about this I realized I might never be able to play tennis to my full glory again. I felt glum about that, but after seeing that guy last night, my life felt like heaven on earth.