Chapter 6: Stolen Legacy (Edited)

(Zach's POV)

"We're playing a school dance? Sweet!" Reggie says, holding up the flyer that Julie presented to us. Apparently, Flynn had booked us a gig at Julie's school.

"It's not exactly the Strip," Luke pouted, making Julie chuckle.

"And you're not exactly alive, so maybe you should just be happy that we have our first gig," Reggie tells him.

"Yeah, Luke. You either take it or leave it," I added.

"I wasn't in love with the idea at first either, but it could be a great way for us to build a following, right?" Julie says as she sets the watering can down.

"Yeah, we need to play wherever we can, whenever we can," Reggie agreed.

"No, you're right," Luke finally admitted. "Let's rock those kids' faces off and then play the clubs."

"And then we record a single that gets a billion streams?" Julie continues. I looked at her confused, not knowing what streams are.

"I don't know what that is, but hopefully it lands us a manager and a tour," Luke tells her.

"And then we release a bunch of hit albums!" I added enthusiastically.

"Put out a country album that does surprisingly well," Reggie added excitingly, Luke looked at him confused while Julie and I looked at Reggie amused.

"I shred on the banjo, so..." Reggie shrugged, explaining to Julie.

"Then I'll learn how to fiddle," Julie said, giving Reggie a fist bump.

"And before you know it, we'll be inducted to the Rock-N-Roll Hall Of Fame!" Luke exclaimed, slamming his hands on the piano.

"But one of us isn't there! Because we had a blowout in 2032," Reggie adds.

"That money's on Alex. He's just so sensitive," I tell Julie.

"What are we waiting for? Let's get rehearsing!" Luke says excitingly.

"Uh, where is Alex?" Julie asks.

"He's probably hanging out with his ghost friend, Willie," I suggest.

"In that case... Zach, do you think you can take over Alex's parts for us?" Luke asks me, grabbing his guitar.

"As much as I want to, I can never upstage Alex like that," I responded as I grab my guitar.

"You play other instruments too?" Julie asks me.

"Yeah," I nodded and turned to Julie. "I can play drums, piano, a little bit of bass, uke, even the tambourine."

"He also plays the harmonica, too, which is a very great addition for the country genre," Reggie chimes in, standing beside me. I playfully nudged his side, we looked at each other and giggled. I notice Luke and Julie looking at us weirdly.

I cleared my throat before continuing, "Anyway, shall we begin?"

"Yeah! Let's do it," Luke says determinedly and we begin to rehearse.

***

We were rehearsing for a while until Alex walks in.

"Oh! Hey Alex," Reggie greets.

"Took you long enough to get here," I teased.

"Where have you been man?" Luke asks. "We need to start rehearsing."

"Yeah? For what?" He asks us. Just then, the door opens behind him and Flynn walks in.

"Dance news!" Flynn announced. "I don't have a date, but I don't care 'cause I'm so psyched to see you guys perform."