Occam's Razor - Part 2

"Everybody, quiet!" Jefferies' voice echoed through the lobby of a small hotel in the village. "I've spoken to the headteacher, and a decision has been made. We are all going to stay here overnight and go back first thing in the morning." Aquila couldn't help it. She was pulling at the sleeve of her sweater so much that she accidentally ripped a hole in the cuff. She didn't look at Maddy or Rhydian. She was tired, she wished for nothing then to be home at that moment.

"Luckily... the hotel can squeeze us all in, yay. But it's a tight fit, so it will be three or four to a room. So gather up your things please, and we'll allocate you a room." Aquila was angry, she wasn't sure at who. Rhydian maybe? He could have gotten off the roof, but that thought made her feel slightly guilty. He was hurt, and this wasn't the time to be blaming someone, she needed to find a way to get all three of them out.

She picked up her bag, and wrapped it around her shoulders. She almost wished she was more carefree. Why did she have to make a plan? She wasn't responsible. But this was her pack, they were practically a family and she was the oldest. As much as she didn't want to, she knew that she wouldn't be able to help it, she would have to figure something out.

Next to her, Maddy pulled her phone from her pocket, and caught Aquila's attention. Looking around they both slipped into a nearby hallway. They raced up a flight of stairs to put some extra distance between them and the class. Maddy dialed Emma.

Aquila had to listen to the excruciating explanation from her spot seated on the top stair, and as she heard the recap, she thought about all the moments she could have done something different.

"Rhydian can't walk, we're stuck on an island, and my best mate already thinks I'm the beast of Stoneybridge Moor!" Aquila scoffed, she completely forgot about that, Shannon's werewolf theory.

Aquila barely had to try hard to listen to what was happening on the other end of the phone. "Look. Don't panic. Rhydian will be fine once he transforms. The full moon heals almost anything in a wolfblood. Maddy, put Aquila on." Aquila stood and reached for the phone that Maddy quickly handed to her, and Maddy sat down where Aquila was previously.

"It's me." Emma didn't ask who 'me' was. Aquila's still very distinguished american accent gave it away.

"Look pet, Daniel just called your mum and dad. They are working on a way to get to you, but I don't think we are gonna get there in time. You need to get all three of ya out of the village by 8:30."

"8:30. Got it."

"And Aquila," Emma's voice was softer through the phone now. "We're sorry to put all of this on you, but we trust ya to keep everyone safe." The sweat building in Aquila's palm made the phone slowly slip in her hand.

"I will, don't worry. Tell mom and dad I say hi." When no response came, she ended the call and handed the phone back to Maddy.

-----------

When Aquila was assigned a room with Becky, and her friend, Mary, she started coming up with a number of excuses explaining why she would have to leave. She placed her bag on the ground.

"If you two want to share the bed, I'll take the floor?" Becky and Mary, smiled and didn't argue. They both took a seat on their bed and started talking. Aquila quickly left the room, to go look for either Maddy or Rhydian. She spotted Maddy and Mrs. Fitzgerald in front of a room at the end of the hall, and Maddy was dragged her feet as she walked into her room.

She gave a pleasant smile when she passed Mrs. Fitzgerald and the teacher mirrored her look, and then continued on and down the stairs. Aquila wanted to know who Maddy was roomed with, so they could think of a way to get her out.