Chapter 11

Since I received some votes I'll post half the chapter today with the rest being done at a later date!

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"I am sorry did I just hear that correctly, Master Jedi? You believe the UNSC to be too strong and so you are suggesting a withdrawal of all Republic forces from the planet?" Admiral Sokar seethed, his hologram flickering slightly. "I would have thought you of all people would know of the horrors the Republic's enemies are capable of."

Kenobi only looked up at the admiral his eyes tired. "May I remind you admiral the enemies the Republic has faced across its few thousand-year history have either been Sith or criminals, neither of which very much care for the welfare of those beneath them." Kenobi rebutted, "But the terrans are different. They are honourable and kind hearted, not the savages the media is portraying them as..." Kenobi reasoned before being cut off.

"Do you suggest that the Republic is lying to it's people?" The admiral challenged.

"No." Kenobi answered as truthfully, "I am simply saying, perhaps we should better understand our enemy before we spread misinformation across the galaxy. Better understand them before we destroy any possible future alliance."

"Oh. If you believe the Republic is spreading misinformation then how would you suggest we present the terrans?" The admiral harshly asked.

"I would... I would present them as an independent and intelligent species." Kenobi reasoned, "I would recognise their ability to fight. Their ability to combat professionally trained soldier and come out as the victors. Even when the odds are against them I have seen terran soldiers fight tooth and nail to beat back my men." Kenobi paused, allowing himself to breath out the frustration that had been bubbling inside, "I suppose what I am trying to say is... they are perhaps the best soldiers I have ever had the pleasure of fighting against. Their dedication and resolve should not be underestimated."

The Admiral looked at the weary Jedi hard before scoffing. "You really don't understand how to fight a war do you, Jedi?" The Admiral spoke with contempt. "If we back down now what will it prove? That we were wrong to attack the UNSC? No! The galaxy will only see it as failure. Failure to follow through with our intentions. Failure to defeat a weaker power. Failure to protect the innocents within the Republic." Kenobi shifted slightly at the mention of innocence. "Our enemies will only exploit this failure for their own purpose. Systems who are on the fringes of Republic space will flock to the Separatists if they are even given a sliver of doubt at the Republic's ability to protect them. That is why you will continue your efforts on Pandora." The Admiral finished with an evil smirk at the defeated look of the Jedi Councilman. Before the Admiral could disconnect Kenobi responded with some carefully placed words.

"Admiral, I do hope you remember to make your decisions without interference from your ego." The admiral looked at the Jedi with a bitter stare and tight lips at what he was implying.

"Master Jedi, I do hope you remember your duty is to the Republic and so I'd suggest you watch your tone when talking to an officer of the Republic." Admiral Sokar mimicked, again moving to disconnect himself.

"Actually Admiral, the Jedi Order's purpose is to protect Peace not the Republic." Kenobi finished, disconnecting himself before the Admiral could form a reasonable response. Kenobi already knew the response that would be thrown back at him and the incredibly long argument that will follow.

Slowly the room darkened as the holo-projector died down. Leaning forward Kenobi breathed in deeply, trying desperately hard to calm himself. Searching through the force he could feel the bustle of the clones' outside activity. Searching around the camp the old master could feel every tent individually and the many emotions it gave off; the contempt and frustration steaming out of the briefing tent of those lucky few who were preparing for patrol, the tiredness and fear that ebbed its way from the small sentry positions, the intense pain and suffering of those in the barracks trying so very hard to sleep, and last but not least the medical station, the most difficult place to visit. If Kenobi focused on it hard enough he could just feel the small whips of the dying clones inside, he could feel the quiet and agonising moans of those whose time was almost up. Kenobi always found it strange really how he'd linger on the tent for so much longer than all the others. Something about the soft peacefulness of death just gave him comfort. Had he really been through so much that he took comfort in death's presence?