Chapter 7

The rain streaked down heavily from the dark night sky. The hills and valleys rose and fell steadily, each one topped by a litter of boulders and rocks. The ground seemed to swallow the sheep's legs leaving only the damp and unhappy clouds of the animals to suffer in the weather. The fog and night fell heavily over these isolated animals blocking many of them from seeing beyond their own field. A single clone stood atop a small cairn unaware to the poor flock of wool closing together for warmth.

Groaning in frustration the clone lifted the macro-binoculars from his helmet. There wasn't much point in using them. Visibility was nothing more than 5 meters, instead the clouds and shadows of night hugged close to him isolating him. Deciding its time to call in he turned to his speeder where a small communications device was set up on its back. "Commander this is CT-2112 reporting in." He spoke through clearly, unaware of the shadows behind him.

"Roger CT-2112, anything to report rookie." The clone groaned at being referred as such by his commanding officer. "Wait until you see me in combat." The clone muttered frustrated at his meaningless role, he was a soldier not a lookout. "What was that rookie?" The clone captain barked back. Upon realisation of his mistake he quickly sputtered through, "Nothing sir... I mean I have been unable to locate any enemy troops." Not like there is anything to see.

"What is your position?" the officer responded, not caring for the obvious lie. With a slight amount of fiddling the clone pulled out a loose holo-projector displaying a blue coloured image of the surrounding invisible terrain. He was on the edge between a field, which was large enough to land a few LAATs, and the large and endless moorland of Pandora. "665 720 sir." The clone said.

"Roger, be advised enemy troops were confirmed to have landed 30 clicks to your north 8 hours ago. Your orders are to hold position for the night and a new team will head out in the morning, be aware no other patrols are operating nearby. Understood?"

"Yes sir." The clone muttered back with contempt at having to remain in the wet night.

Clicking off his communicator he turned his head to the direction of the enemy force. Seeing as how he wasn't going to see anything he turned back to his equipment unaware of the soaked silhouette behind him. With lighting speed, it smashed its shoulder into the unsuspecting clone's back whilst grabbing around its legs and pulling them. The quick a fluid and motion took the white armoured mass by complete surprise sending him flying face forward onto the ground. Not missing a beat, the silhouette jumped onto the back of the clone pressing his helmet further into the mud. The pair struggled, the clone trying to get his attacker off and the attacker trying to grab something. The attacker succeeded. Drawing a 12-inch blade the silhouette thrusted it hard into the clone, right between the helmet and breast plate. Just as fast as the fight had started it ended, not without several seconds of bleeding from the clone.

 Just as fast as the fight had started it ended, not without several seconds of bleeding from the clone

Satisfied the silhouette stood up revealing several small patches amongst the mass of heavy equipment. E Cohen was sewn onto his chest in a dark black thread, whilst his shoulders bore the name plate of Marine Commando. Raising his arm to his head, which was covered by his drenched chestnut hair and a headset, he twisted his hand into what resembled a spider atop his head. With this simple gesture the very ground behind him seemed to raise up and move around him before returning to their hidden forms. Several ran over to Cohen in crouched and low positions, watching steadily as the marine cleaned the blood off his blade. "Thanks Dan." Ethan whispered seeing the awaiting rifle in his friend's hand. "Nice kill." He responded with a mischievous grin. With a quick nod from Cohen's black and green covered face Dan turned to kneel with his back to his friend. "Hello Zero, this is Charlie 1 Sunray, sending SITREP over." Cohen carefully said as he adjusted the straps on his recovered bag. "Roger, send over." Came the crackled reply through the attached headset. "Time is 2131, Charlie 1 and Charlie 2 are at full strength and have taken control of objective knife. Enemy have no remaining forces with 1 confirmed kill. I therefore intend to clear the area in preparation for secondary forces, over."