Chapter 10 ◌ Vinci la sera

DAMIANO 

DAMIANO 

August 2016, Damiano's place

Marlena is sitting on my bed, quite uncomfortable. All of this feels like a dream and I don't want to wake up. Not yet. I feel her glancing at my lips, eager and hungry as if she'll starve if she won't taste them. She looks up at my eyes, with her eyes filled with stars, and then she looks down at my lips again while biting a little on her own. I must admit that she does something to me, but I don't know yet if I'll go into it, because I fear I will take more than just her kiss and her body eventually but something bigger like her innocence. Right now I only see her in her colorful dress, dancing in the pavilion. That little girl looks nothing like the fierce woman who's sitting in front of me although I want her badly, but the dancing girl is who I am falling for. I don't want to be the guy who broke that lovely image. 

Marlena opens her mouth, breaks our trance. "So... Why exactly don't you like parties?" she asks, "because it's a little contradictory with you as a singer, a born entertainer." 

I know I owe her an explanation for that, it wasn't nice of me to leave her behind even when she was with my friends, who seem to have become her own friends now as well. I figured that if she was with them she wouldn't have minded for me to be elsewhere for a moment, but I am a little flattered she noticed and that she cared enough to ask about it instead of just getting mad.

"I liked being there, sitting and talking to you," I answer while sipping from my glass of wine, "But you know, I sometimes need to balance my restless life as a busker with some serenity. You've seen my friends, all inarrestabile, living their lives on lightspeed. Like young people like us have to, getting a taste of the good life while being a little reckless. But I feel like I've seen it all, partying and getting wasted is getting a little old for me. I love the enthusiasm of Vic, the energy of Thomas and joking together with Ethan, I love all of them actually, i miei fratelli, but I just like to snuggle up in my bed with a cup of chamomile tea and watch some cat videos." 

Marlena smirks at that little confession, but sincerely. "Dami, you're an old soul in a rocking body. You're even doing little beautysleeps," Marlena says jokingly but understanding. I notice she just called me "Dami" which puts a smile on my face because she said she wasn't going to do nicknames. 

She exhales: "But then I am an old soul as well, to be honest, I prefer the calm and I also like being on my own. But with you, I prefer sitting and talking here over all the incredible parties I'm going to miss out on because I'm with you, watching cat videos and snuggling in a bed. I would even prefer "us-time" over "me-time". And no offense to your amazing friends though, because I enjoyed the fun we had. You were absolutely right when you said I would like them. But if I had the choice I would choose this, forever and always if you let me," she says with a wide smile, "I guess you'll become one of my preferences as well," she whispers, but now with a more serious voice.