XVI

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

•••••

-Minas Tirith is the safer road. You know it. From there we can regroup... strike out for Mordor from a place of strength- the man of Gondor insisted.

-There is no strength in Gondor that can avail us- Aragorn responded.

-You were quick enough to trust the Elves. Have you so little faith in your own people?- Frodo looks out, suffering, from his resting place, hearing Boromir's words.

-Yes, there is weakness. There is frailty. But there is courage also, and honor to be found in Men. But you will not see that- Aragorn turns away, but Boromir grabs his arm and turns him.

-You are afraid! All your life, you have hidden in the shadows!

-Scared of who you are, of what you are- Boromir releases Aragorn, who turns away. Arya can feel the tenseness increasing between the two men.

-I will not lead the Ring within a hundred leagues of your city!- Aragorn turns back suddenly.

••••••••••

The Fellowship's boats pass through a canyon. Boromir glances at Frodo's boat across the water, in his eyes a look Arya did not like.
Aragorn lifts his head, half-smiles and taps Frodo on the shoulder.

-Frodo, the Argonath! Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old. My kin- Aragorn says proudly.

The Fellowship looks up in awe at the towering splendor of the Argonath.
Two majestic statues proudly stand on each side of the Anduin.

Their left arms are held aloft, their palms facing outwards in gesture of warning. Voices sing out in the light.
The Fellowship sail towards a great, roaring waterfall.

As they disembark on a gravel beach, Boromir looks troubled and appears to be fighting a conflict within him, and Frodo glances at him, looking afraid.
Arya approaches the hobbit and pulls him along with her, feeling his relax beneath her hold.
The Fellowship starts to make camp.

-We cross the lake at nightfall. Hide the boats and continue on foot. We approach Mordor from the north.

-Oh, yes?! It's just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Muil? An impassable labyrinth of razor sharp rocks! And after that, it gets even better!- Pippin looks up, alarmed and Arya glares at the dwarf who does not notice -Festering, stinking marshlands, far as the eye can see!

-That is our road. I suggest you take some rest and recover your strength, Master Dwarf- Arya states.

-Recover my...?! Phrrr...- he plops down on a tree stump.

-We should leave now- Legolas tells Aragorn.

-No. Orcs patrol the eastern shore. We must wait for cover of darkness.

-It is not the eastern shore that worries me. A shadow and a threat has been growing in my mind. Something draws near... I can feel it- Arya says making both males look at her.

Legolas's gaze wanders over the dark pine woods, with a dark, brooding statue nestled amongst their needles.

-No dwarf need recover strength! Pay no heed to that, young Hobbit- Gimli tries explaining to the hobbits.