Chapter 7

One Year Later – November 2021

"What a day!"

Stiles flopped down unto the bed in most dramatic fashion and immediately wrapped his leg and arm around Derek, letting out an accusatory "Ouch!" when he accidentally bumped his forehead against Derek's book.

Derek's lips twitched into a wry little smile as he looked down his glasses, raising an eyebrow at his mate to prompt him to go on.

Stiles gave him a rather disgruntled expression in return, rubbing at his forehead as he clucked his tongue.

"Ugh! Stop looking down at me like that. I told you I haven't built up a resistance to your new glasses, yet!"

Derek huffed out a laugh, shoving his glasses back up his nose and setting his book aside to wrap his arms around his Omega properly, pressing a kiss against the tiny red spot on the younger man's forehead.

"Would you like to tell me about your day, my love?" he prompted, his lips stretching into a wide smile when Stiles let out a most dramatic groan.

"Where to even begin? Ah, yes. I stubbed my toe when I got out of bed this morning. I should have known the entire day was going to end in a disaster!"

"Oh yeah?" Derek asked, trying very hard not to laugh out loud when Stiles let out a disgruntled huff.

"Yes. I should have known that everything was only going to get worse from there on out! After my toe's tragic encounter with the dresser, I accidentally burned the pancakes for the kids, and you know how peculiar our little miss can get about her pancakes! The look on her face was pretty much You're lucky I love you, because if I didn't, I'd go and move in with Uncle Jackson instead. Ugh! How am I ever supposed to compete with his rainbow sparkle pancakes? He's cheating!"

"He does make delicious pancakes," Derek confirmed, biting his lip to keep from grinning when Stiles gave him a betrayed look.

"Anyway! As I was driving them to school, the tiniest love of my life made up a song about farts and it was so damn catchy that it got stuck in my head and I kept singing it all day! Even when I had a perp in the back of the cruiser! Have you ever tried to get a criminal's respect after he'd already heard you singing a cheerful tune about flatulence? Forget it!"

This time, Derek couldn't help the laughter bubbling out of him, and Stiles sighed, his head dropping onto Derek's chest in defeat.

"Then, to add insult to injury, I came home to our boy despairing over his math homework, completely bombed at trying to explain it to him, and ended up having to facetime Lydia for assistance. It was fourth grade math, Derek. Fourth grade!"

Derek shrugged, pressing a kiss to Stiles' head, and stroking along his back.

"Not everyone's a teacher. Besides, I'm sure Peggy was excited about singing her fartsong to a more appreciative audience."

Stiles snorted.

"Appreciative is not the word I'd use to describe the look on Lydia's face, but she does like her creativity, I will say that."

He sighed, patting Derek's chest.

"And to think this is still the supposedly easy part! Can you even imagine what's going to happen when they are both in puberty?"

"Nah, they're going to stay our babies forever," Derek said easily, smiling when Stiles let out another dramatic sigh.

"That would probably be better. I was a terror during puberty. Just ask my dad – he swears that all his gray hairs are one hundred percent related to my teenage years. If memory serves, Lydia wasn't a joy to be around either. If Peggy takes after either of us, maybe I'm going to be the one who's going to move in with Uncle Jackson instead!"