Chapter 2: The Beginning

13 Years Earlier

When Derek met Kate Argent on his first day of classes he was eighteen years old and brimming with excitement about starting his college life.

He'd moved from his small hometown to a small city two hours away from New York City and he loved it, even though it wasn't quite yet the big city life he'd been dreaming of since middle school.

However, having grown up in a town where people thought the McDonald's parking lot was an awesome hangout spot and dates included a trip to Walmart, Derek was almost overwhelmed by the many little bars and entertainment options his new city had to offer.

He hadn't expected to find love on his first day of college, but Kate Argent took his breath away the moment he first laid eyes on her.

She was his TA in his Omega Rights History class, an elective that Derek technically didn't need in terms of credit but that he'd signed up for simply out of interest.

Kate was seven years older than him, beautiful, fiercely intelligent, and armed with a dry sense of humor that drew Derek in like a moth to a flame.

She was the object of desire to many and she knew it, too, her winks seductive, her lips forever parted in breathless anticipation, and her clothes revealing as much as she could get away with in class.

Every Alpha and quite a few Omegas in the class wanted to sleep with her and Derek didn't actually think he stood a chance, admiring her from afar right until the day she kept him after class to discuss an assignment, locked the door, sank down to her knees and made his own knees go weak with her tongue.

He lost his virginity to her two weeks later and everything was beyond his wildest dreams, amazing, and also a little too much, the intensity of Kate's gaze on him so heavy he felt nearly overwhelmed with affection.

Derek was a little ashamed for the tears that gathered in his eyes after, briefly terrified that he'd appear less of an Alpha in her eyes.

She was amazing, however, kissed away his tears and reminded him that Alphas were allowed to cry, that she was so glad to have found a partner who wasn't ashamed of being human.

For the first couple of months of their relationship, Derek was hardly able to believe his luck, lying awake next to her for hours after sex and grinning like a lunatic, burying his face into her soft hair, and wondering what he'd done to deserve such a wonderful Omega.

She was the ideal Omega, the one Derek hadn't even dared to dream of.

Kate was the perfect combination of thoughtful conversations during a moonlit stroll, sweet snuggles on the couch, total debauchery in the bedroom, and being able to make him laugh so hard until his belly hurt with it.

Kate made him feel like he was the most special Alpha who'd ever lived and he felt beyond loved and desired, her attention devoted and all-consuming, a romance for the ages.

For eight months, two weeks, and three days, Derek starred in his very own romantic movie, where things were picture perfect and the heavens were full of violins.

Eight months, two weeks, and four days into the first actual relationship Derek had ever had, the young Alpha was excited to finally introduce his Omega to his family.

Kate made the four-hour drive to upstate New York during the third week of summer break and Derek sat on the porch of his family home eagerly waiting for her for hours, thrumming with excitement after not seeing her for almost a month.

The meeting between Kate and his family went off without a hitch.

Kate looked beautiful and her smile was charming, Derek's Omega father Sebastian complimented her on her accomplishments at college, his Alpha mother Talia showed genuine interest in her career plans, and his big Alpha sister Laura and his little Omega sister Cora had shared some of Derek's most embarrassing childhood stories, the three young women laughing together and making Derek feel warm and happy.