─ 𝒇𝒊𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

[15|| chapter fifteen]
the one thing
not       s e e n

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

         ━━━━ EAD WAS NOT amused by the act of goat shopping.

         Especially not when Kaz was stalking her throughout the market, catching up to her no matter how fast she walked. He was like a pesky fruit fly that wouldn't leave her alone no matter how many times she swatted him away. He was quicker and more agile than he looked, something you wouldn't guess could be possible with his injury, but Kaz liked for people to misread him. He liked them to assume he was incapable, because he loved the act of surprising and the satisfaction it gave him. Just like she did.

         Ead was stuck with him when he caught up with her, just as she found a man willing to part with his goat, but only for a good chunk of the money Dreesen had given her. She hadn't been under the impression that the merchant spoke Kerch, but just when she was about to give in to the merchants persistent whining, Kaz appeared at her side and began to bargain— very threateningly in that rough voice of his— prices she'd thought weren't negotiable. The merchant seemed to completely understand and went pale when Kaz began to criticize his entire work station, from its minor faults to its obvious shabbiness.

         When he managed to get the price bumped down considerably and the goat was in his hands, he said to her, "I wasn't under the impression we'd be buying, but you're mad if you ever try to pay such a ridiculous price for something you won't have for long."

         Ead felt he wanted her to be impressed or pleased, perhaps even surprised, but she wasn't and he could tell by the way she scoffed. "Bravo, Dirtyhands. Conning hardworking people of their money because you're cheap."

         Kaz's mouth clamped shut. "You've never had a problem with the conning back home when you'd benefit from it."

Home. The words caused an influx of emotions not even she could decipher within herself. For a second she felt that foolish romantic side of her began to sing, but she cut it off before it could form a song that would only make things more complicated.

         "That's because where we live everything's a con and the people we target are rich pricks who deserve to be robbed. We're not in Ketterdam anymore. People here have morals. Families to feed." Ead replied, walking away. He followed after her, clutching the bleating goat with clear distaste.

         "I have morals," He remarked, but it seemed even he could tell it sounded ridiculous. "Should I be ashamed because they're different?"

         Ead didn't say anything, because she didn't feel she had the ability to argue about his morals when she herself had been shed of such things the moment she fled and put that cloak on. She was just like him, no matter how much she hated that fact.

         "Where are you going?" He demanded when she continued walking.

         Ead waved her hand in annoyance. "I never told you to follow me."

         Kaz caught her ankle suddenly with the tip of his cane and she stumbled forward, barely catching her footing before she could face plant onto the cobblestone streets. After regaining her balance she swiveled around to face him, mouth twisted with anger, but she hadn't calculated how'd close he'd been behind her and his breath hit her chin, his nose inches from brushing hers. Surprised, she backed away quickly, almost tripping again. She thanked the Saints in that moment, because if her skin had been paler she would've been scarlet in the face.