─ 𝒆𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

[08|| chapter eight]
would you kill
for me, ead?

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

━━━━ EADAZ MADE THE first move.

She struck her elbow back into the old man's ribs, drawing the breath from his lungs so that his grip on her loosened. He swiped the knife in his hand in a blind arc, but the blade clattered uselessly against the bones of her corset, which she thanked the Saints for endlessly in her head. She swept the tattered skirt of her dress back, facing the man head on so that she could see the rage in his ashen face.

"Bitch," He hissed. "What a waste of my time."

"I'd say you getting to be in my presence before you die is a gift more than anything."

He charged again, but she ducked easily, planting a kick to his ribs that sent him stumbling back. She took a second to assess the damage of her outfit as he caught his breath. The corset was fine save for the bloodstains, but the skirts of her dress were ripped and covered in unknown substances, like they'd dragged her through the muddy waters of the canals, then through a pit of spikes. Pity. She liked this dress.

           She charged first this time, anger like oil in her bloodstream. Every hit she thrust his way met its mark, drawing the loudest grunts, groans, and yells from his paper lungs. There was a whistle in his breath not even minutes later, she guessed from years of smoking— which would also explain the stained teeth— and if not that then just a result of his age.

No matter how loud they were or how many rotten crates and barrels they crashed into, the second kidnapper didn't come back in. Ead didn't expect him to show anytime soon, either. After hearing the old man run his mouth she knew Kaz's intentions. It was still a test, but not the kind she'd originally thought. He wasn't wary of her giving out his information— she hardly knew any of his secrets and if someone wanted dirt on Brekker the first they'd go for was the Wraith— he was asking a question without speaking it out loud.

Would you kill for me? Where do your loyalties lie?

In a matter of life or death, would she save Kaz? Save Jesper? Save Inej? If a heist went wrong and someone had a knife to his throat, but she had a gun to a head, would she pull the trigger?

They were both smart. If Kaz really wanted to kidnap and interrogate her, he wouldn't sent a dunce old codger like this, especially one still so loyal to Per Haskell. He knew that she was intelligent enough to not get caught on the streets— and if he could catch her, she'd know immediately it was him. Kaz sent this man to his death, asking her the stupidest question she'd heard since she stepped foot on Kerch soil.

Of course I'd kill for you, Kaz.

Eadaz Viottova had been killing for him for the better part of two years, something he still knew nothing of. She wouldn't stop now.

"I'll ask you again," Ead breathed, voice rippling throughout the warehouse. The old man was before her, knife still held out, but with a rip of her dress she made a slit down her right thigh to retrieve the dagger resting against her skin. She felt a flush of relief at the sight of it, because that meant they'd at least abided by Kaz's rules well enough not to go digging under her skirt. She yanked it out and pointed it at his chest. "Who do you work for?"

"Per Haskell." The old man panted.

          Now he looked worn, beaten, but still ready to strike. She had to give it to him, he was a hell of a fighter... or well, a hell of a punching bag. Good at staying upright and taking a beating. If only he didn't have a mouth that kept running.