─ 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

[14|| chapter fourteen]
Novokribirsk and  the
darkling's missing spy

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

━━━━ EAD AND KAZ went their separate ways after convincing Arken to help them into the Little Palace.

Eadaz was hoping that meant he was actually going to figure out a way to take Inej along with them, because she was completely serious when she said she refused to go without her Wraith. Crossing the Fold and attempting to kidnap the Sun Summoner without her was foolish. She had talents Ead did not— as well, the thought of leaving her behind didn't feel right at all. In fact, it felt like another cruelty in Inej's life she did not deserve.

Ead packed a small bag after changing out of her dress, switching the skirts for trousers and her flats for boots. Her corset matched her cloak quite nicely, which was good, because she intended on sliding it over her shoulders the second they were on Ravkan soil. There no one knew who the Viper was.

A half hour before dawn Inej knocked on her door and announced that they would be leaving, so Ead pulled her bag over her shoulder and headed out.

         The look on Dreesen's face when they arrived at his boat with Arken in tow was priceless, but there was also a smugness behind his smile when he let them aboard. A smile that suggested he wanted them to succeed, but have a hard time along the way. She didn't expect anything less.

         Ead didn't approach Kaz until they were alone by the edge of the ship. He was staring at the True Sea with flickers of emotions behind his marble casing, his gloves crinkling with the brutal force of his grip.

         "How did you do it?" Ead asked, stepping beside him and staring out at the gray waters. "Did you kill Tante Heleen? Because that was a job I wanted to reserve for myself."

         Kaz looked at her before looking away just as quickly. "It doesn't matter how I did it. What matters is we have our Wraith."

         Eadaz let loose a small sigh. "I suppose."

         Kaz stayed silent for a long time, the waves lapping at the side of the boat, the panels of wood creaking as the sailors moved back and forth behind them. Ead loved the smell of the sea, but her stomach was churning with nerves to that made her want to retch over the edge.

         She was going back to the Little Palace, something she swore to never do the moment she left. It was a big risk. Her new look wasn't drastic enough. She was sure those she used to know could pin her on sight; and they'd be angry. They'd feel betrayed, because she would feel that way too if it were the other way around.

The Darkling... she hoped that she wouldn't have to see him, but she had a very bad feeling it was going to be impossible to kidnap the Sun Summoner without at least having to catch sight of his face from afar. Truly, she didn't know if she was ready for that, but she didn't have a choice. She'd already promised Kaz she'd help. She'd already dug her grave and she was adamant on finishing this.

         "Eadaz Viottova, an East Ravkan." Kaz finally spoke, his eyes still trained on the sea, as if staring it down might rush the waves. "What were you running from?"

         She let a small breath escape her nose, but couldn't help the shiver at the way his voice wove her full name. "Who said anything about running?"

         "The Conductor doesn't simply take tourists across the Fold for fun. It's dangerous and it's risky." He replied confidently. This time when he looked at her he didn't look away. "He's only taking us now because you're giving up your share of the million. That means you were desperate to flee. Perhaps you have certain abilities and didn't want to be dragged into a war."