fifty two

chapter fifty two
the prisoner of azkaban

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Shocking business. . . . shocking. . . . miracle none of them died. . . . never heard the like. . . . by thunder, it was lucky you were there, Snape. . . ."

"Thank you, Minister."

"Order of Merlin, Second Class, I'd say. First Class, if I can wangle it!"

"Thank you very much indeed, Minister."

"Nasty cut you've got there. . . . Black's work, I suppose?"

"As a matter of fact, it was Mr. Potter, Weasley, and Granger, Minister. . . ."

"No!"

"Black had bewitched them, I saw it immediately. A Confundus Charm, to judge by their behaviour. They seemed to think there was a possibility he was innocent. They weren't responsible for their actions. On the other hand, their interference might have permitted Black to escape. . . . They obviously thought they were going to catch Black single-handed. They've got away with a great deal before now. . . . I'm afraid it's given them a rather high opinion of themselves, and of course Mr. Potter has always been allowed an extraordinary amount of license by the headmaster. . . ."

"What about Miss. Potter? Why was she there?"

"Wrong place at the wrong time."

"We've all got a bit of a blind spot where the Potter's are concerned."

"And yet, is it good for Mr. Potter to be given so much special treatment? Personally, I try and treat him like any other student. And any other student would be suspended, at the very least, for leading his friends into such danger. Consider, Minister. . . . against all school rules. . . . after all the precautions put in place for his protection. . . . out-of-bounds, at night, consorting with a werewolf and a murderer. . . . and I have reason to believe he has been visiting Hogsmeade illegally too. . . ."

"Well, well. . . . we shall see, Snape, we shall see. Both of the twins have undoubtedly been foolish. . . ."

Amelia lay listening with her eyes tight shut. She felt very groggy. The words she was hearing seemed to be traveling very slowly from her ears to her brain, so that it was difficult to understand. Her limbs felt like lead, her eyelids too heavy to lift. She wanted to lie here, on this comfortable bed, forever. . . .

"What amazes me most is the behaviour of the Dementors, you've really no idea what made them retreat, Snape?"

"No, Minister. . . . by the time I had come 'round they were heading back to their positions at the entrances. . . ."

"Extraordinary. And yet Black, the Potters, and the girl. . . ."

"All unconscious by the time I reached them. I bound and gagged Black, naturally, conjured stretchers, and brought them all straight back to the castle."

There was a pause. Amelia's brain seemed to be moving a little faster, and as it did, a gnawing sensation grew in the pit of her stomach. . . .

She opened his eyes.

 He was lying in the dark hospital wing. At the very end of the ward, she could make out Madam Pomfrey with her back to her, bending over a bed. Ron's red hair was visible beneath Madam Pomfrey's arm.

Amelia moved her head over on the pillow. In the bed to her right lay Hermione. Moonlight was falling across her bed. Her eyes were open too. She looked petrified, and when she saw that Amelia was awake, pressed a finger to her lips, then pointed to the hospital wing door. It was ajar, and the voices of Cornelius Fudge and Snape were coming through it from the corridor outside. Amelia looked to her left and saw Harry was awake, squinting as he didn't have his glasses.