twelve

chapter twelve
the philosophers stone

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You could have woken me up," said Daphne, sounding slightly hurt the next morning.

"You can come tonight," Amelia said as Daphne smiled, "I'm going back, I want to show you the mirror."

"I'd like to see your mom and dad," Daphne said eagerly.

"And I want to see all your family," Amelia said smiling.

"You can see them any old time," said Daphne. "Just come round my house this summer. Anyway, maybe it only shows dead people, but that wouldn't explain the man you saw. Shame about not finding Flamel, though. Have some bacon or something, why aren't you eating anything?"

Amelia couldn't eat. She had seen her parents and would be seeing them again tonight. She had almost forgotten about Flamel. It didn't seem very important anymore. Who cared what the three headed dog was guarding? What did it matter if someone stole it, really?

"Are you all right?" said Ron. "You look odd."

What Amelia feared most was that he might not be able to find the mirror room again. With Daphne covered in the cloak, too, they had to walk much more slowly the next night. They tried retracing Amelia's  route from the library, wandering around the dark passageways for nearly an hour.

"I'm freezing," said Daphne. "Let's forget it and go back."

"No!" Amelia whispered. "I know it's here somewhere."

They passed the ghost of a tall witch gliding in the opposite direction, but saw no one else. Just as Daphne started moaning that her feet were dead with cold, Amelia spotted the suit of armour.

"It's here, just here, yes!"

They pushed the door open. Amelia dropped the cloak from around her shoulders and ran to the mirror. There they were. Her mother and father beamed at the sight of her, and so did the older looking Draco.

"See?" Amelia whispered.

"I can't see anything."

"What?" Amelia asked confused.

"I can only see you."

"Stand where I am," Amelia said, "maybe you'd be able to see them clearly."

Amelia stepped aside, but with Daphne in front of the mirror, she couldn't see her family anymore, just Daphne in her light yellow pyjamas. Daphne, though, was staring transfixed at his image.

"Look at me!" she said.

"What do you see?" Amelia asked, "can you see your family?"

"No," Daphne said, "I'm alone but I'm different. I look older and I'm married to. . . ."

"To who?" Amelia asked eagerly.

"To. . . . Blaise?" Daphne asked, shocked.

"Blaise?" Amelia asked just as surprised.

"Yeah," she said, "I've got three kids as well. Bloody hell, this is so weird." Daphne tore her eyes away from this confusing sight to look at Amelia. "Do you think this mirror shows the future?"

"How can it?" Amelia asked, "my parents are dead. I don't understand this mirror."

"It's metal," Daphne said. A sudden noise outside in the corridor put an end to their discussion. They hadn't realized how loudly they had been talking.