Amendments

I opened my eyes to darkness, but I heard voices. I recognized Carder’s and Mentius’ voice above the chatter of other unintelligible voices. I couldn’t make out any specific words because I blacked out again.

*Itaque in fabula pergit*

“Hey! She’s waking up!” I heard Carder’s voice from the grogginess of sleep. There was a blur or black figures against dim firelight. “Principem perditus, can you hear me?” I pushed myself sluggishly to my elbows.

“I-” my voice was cut off by a coughing fit. I felt strong arms push me back to the hard bed.

“You are not yet ready. Please rest.” I couldn’t resist because my vision was fading once again.

“But-” When I tried to speak again, my consciousness faded and left me to confused dreams.

When I awoke again, there were no figures by my side and my vision had cleared up. I was able to push myself up into a sitting position and look at my surroundings. I was in a simple white gown and my armour was folded on a chair beside me. I was in a small hut with this bed, an open fireplace, and a cupboard.

“This must be Praecantero.” My voice sounded rough in my ears. I stood up and dressed myself in my under armour. A simple purple blouse and leather pants with a thin chain covering. I left my plates on the bed for later. On hearing hushed voices from outside the hut, I started to walked to the door. I was met by two women in tattered gowns that I didn’t recognize at the door.

On seeing me, the bowed deeply, “Principem perditus, how fare you?” I was taken aback by such formality. I had forgotten how civilians had to treat us royals.

“I’m just fine, thank you.” I smiled. “Where can I find my general, Carder? I wish to have him returned to my side.” I was beginning to feel my Azoth return to me. It was so much stronger than I remembered. And with it, came back my memories of how to act and speak as a royal in this land.

“As you wish Principem perditus.” Within a very minutes Carder came through the door.

“It’s good to see you up and about Principem perditus. But I would like to remind you, that you are still weak and should mind your words.” I understood him perfectly. These walls were paper thin and I could not afford to have any doubt in me.

“I understand. Thank you for your concern Ductour Carder.”

“If I may. The people have taken a liking to call me Popularis dux. I think you should follow suit.” I smiled.

“But of course. I am Principem perditus am I? Fitting I suppose.” I turned my back to him. “Where are we?”

“When we returned in the outskirts of forest far from either kingdom. It seems people of both Lumuxan and Odiuman kind have been finding hidden places.They have come to call this time of uncertainty and fear the Cumma Regnuum Terrorise. The people of Praecantero are united but broken. They need a leader.”

“Or leaders. I can not do this alone. Tell me more once I meet Mentius.”

“In order to keep the Odiuman people of this hideout from chopping his head off, we have locked him in a house.”

“Very well. I shall meet him. Tell me more about this time along the way.”

We walked out together into a dark village of muddy huts, much like the one I was in. The people were half naked and hungry looking, but there was one thing that gave me hope: there was a fire in each and every pair of eyes that met mine. I strode confidently through the dirt roads of onlookers until we came to a house guarded by two men with dull swords. When they saw me they bowed deeply.

“I wish to see Mentius.” I bowed lightly back. They bowed and let me pass. I waven Carder off and he waited outside as well. I walked in to see a fully armoured Mentius sitting on a bed.He stood up as he saw me enter. His eyes were strong but not cold nor harsh. I knew I still had him as an ally.

“It’s good to see you awake Principem perditus.”

“You as well Mentius.” I smiled, “It seems unfair, that you do not receive a new name as well. This is a new start after all. Iuvenis Sacerdos just doesn’t do you justice I feel.”

“I’m not entirely sure I understand your intentions Principem perditus.”

“You are no longer the Iuvenis Sacerdos Mentius. You are my ally and comrade. Therefore you should be known as Meus Sodalis Mentius.” My voice spoke with a resolve that I didn’t expect.

“That seems fitting.” Mentius smiled. “After all, I am your comrade in politics and in battle. I shall accept the name with honor.”

“Very good. We have much to speak about. Join me.” Mentius followed me out the door and the guards look quizzically at me.

I spoke loudly so all around me could hear, “I wish to introduce to you, my people, Meus Sodalis Mentius. He is my ally and will help in our gaining liberty and freedom from the Cumma Regnuum Terrorise. I will kindly ask you to listen to him as you would me. Lumuxan or Odiuman we need to find strength in each other because we face an evil far more powerful than anyone separated. Combining the people is our only chance of peace.”

I looked at Carder, “Take us to the leader of this town so that we may talk.”

“Of course, Principem perditus, follow me.” Carder smiled as he lead Mentius and me to the house of the village leader. I felt the eyes of my people peircing my back. I knew that I could not show weakness and strode confidently as whispers of what I had just said spread from ear to ear.