Chapter 10- the Joy of an early morning

„Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.“Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

EPOV

I slowly woke up. And it felt weird cause it felt like someone was holding my hand. I tried to concentrate to remember what happened and than it doomed over me. But this felt real. Maybe I was dead? Maybe I would wake up to a new life? Who said there had to be a heaven or hell? No one knows for sure, right? I felt warmth, the scent of my Bella, her very own perfume. Hm, this was becoming weird now.

This time my curiosity was too big to ignore what was around me. 

Slowly I opened my eyes. I looked to my right to see my bed empty Hospitalbed. That was really weird. Slowly my head turned to my left side were the warmth was coming from.  And there it hit me again.

I was beeing watched by Bella. Her eyes were curious and she smiled widely at me. I shook my head. Trying to get my head around the image I was seeing.  She slowly touched my face and I closed my eyes. I exhaled and goose bumps started to rise all over my body!

Now I got proof I was going crazy. I got up like beeing shot in the back and started screaming... Doctors, the Nurse Lisa and my mother came rushing in.

I turned to them and said: "I am going mad! I am going gaga! I see Bella over there. She touched my face. Please give me something to pass out again. I can't handle the pain. I love her too much!"

A new Doctor introduced himself as Dr. Bernstein and told me that Bella is alive. He turned me in her direction and Bella did laugh without a voice and wave to me.

No. This. can. not. be. 

I ran over to her bed and fell to my knees in front of her. With trembling and shaking hands I touched her face.

"I can feel you!" I said not believing. Slowly my hands found their way to feel her pulse, her beating heart. "You have a heartbeat. She has a heartbeat. You are not dead." I said turning to the doctor.

Edward we tried to reason with you for almost two and a half week. She was never dead. You refused to listen to us nor did you listen to your Mother. Who by the way will grill you for sure later for this childish behaviour. And think about what you did to Bella. Not only she had to worry about her own recovering. She was scarred that you would go insane.

I turned around to my Bella. I couldn't believe it. Joy overcame me and I crushed my lips on hers. "I love you so much". I said looking into her eyes. 

Bella didn't answer but she smiled and kissed me lightly back.

Why wasn't she speaking? Didn't she love me back. Thoughts were running through my head when Doctor Bernstein interrupted me.

"Before you go mad again. Bella can't speak currently. We think due to tube of her nutrition, her throat got hurt. But we are sure that she will be all good back but no opera singer may be" he joked. Bella laughed without a voice. My mom rushed over to me and kissed my cheeks. Her tears stained her delicate blouse. "Edward Masen Cullen, don't do that ever again. You almost gave me a heart attack! Your father is sick of worry. And this wonderful lady did work really hard to come back to life for you!" She said sobbing.

"Oh mom. Please stop crying. You know I can't stand women crying especially the ones I love" I regretted saying  that.

Than she turned to Bella and kissed her face "I knew that you would the only one who could show him the truth and save him from killing himself".

"Now Eduard should let Bella get up. Rehab is calling my dear" Dr.Bernstein said. "Meanwhile your mother can tell you everything happend and we know about" he added.

"No way. I am not leaving Bella alone. This will not work for me" I said. "I will go with her".

"Ok, then. Bella dear. Let me help you sit up" Nurse Lisa said. Nurse Nora had her day off today so she was in charge.

----

Twelve months later Bellas day had come. She was going to be discharged today. She was excited to leave but knew she would miss Nora and Lisa. They were here two closest friends by now. 

I had a surprise for her. She thought I would take her to my appartment, which I will later but first I thought if showing her our home.

I helped her into the car. "Bella, dear I have a surprise for you and would love to show you first befor we head home. Would that be ok with you?"

"yas" She croaked but she was developing her velvety voice back. I smiled and closed the door after she straped herself into the seat. 

For over two years I haven't left her side. For me it didn't matter that we had no physical relationship formerly. The most important thing was that she was smiling and laughing again and was my beautiful wonderful Bella.

I got over and started the engine. We were both silent. I myself was looking forward to her reaction. Cause I had another surprise. She didn't know that she got a huge compensation. Nearly a million Dollars from the state and since I was in charge I had put it into a fund which doubled it in two years. Bella was no poor girl anymore. This was my gift to her. 

"Edwad" she said. She couldn't roll the R but it sounded cute. "yes my dear" I looked over.

"We have passed all that usual dating stuff, didn't we. I mean what will happen next?" She looked scared.

"Don't worry, love. We will make a plan after dinner tonight! I am so excited to get real vegan food not that hospital stuff." I smiled at her.

I knew my answer didn't satisfy her but she didn't push further.

We took the I 90 E to east. I was sure she wondered where we were going. This was going to be interesting. It took us about  half an hour and Bella started to fidget in her seat. 

"We are nearly there" I said. "Nearly to where?" she asked. "To the surprise" and then I took the exit Issaquah  and ten minutes later the wavy street  into the Douglas CT SW. I stopped at the end of the street. 

"What are we doing here?" She asked again. I bent over and kissed her lightly on her lips. "Let me show you". I got out of the car, opened her door and took her hand and let the way. Slowly we were going and after  we passed the old entrance. Bella turned around. "Are you kidding me? This is a wonderful house!" She lightly jumped up. Exactly the reaction I wanted to see.

"Do you like it?" I asked. "Like it? Can't wait to see the inside of it!" She exclaimed happily. 

"I will give you the tour then."  I guided her to the side entrance to begin with the kitchen. Bellas eyes widened. She was speechles. After 20 Minutes I had shown her everything even the huge garden.

"What do you think" I asked with curiosity. "I like it, but it would be too expansive to rent don't you think?" She said. "Ok lets say if you left the money case out. Would you like to live here?"

"What a question! Sure!" She said. "then my dear we have a lot of thinking to do!" I high fived myself for the good choice.

"How? wait a minute, what?" She stuttered.

"Bella darling it is our house. I bought it to start a new life with you." I smiled at her.

"But isn't this too big, I mean so many rooms. Isn't this a waste?" She asked nervously.

"Not really. I would need two rooms as my office, our bedroom, living room, dining room, a library, then there would be three rooms left. I am sure my family will come over a lot and they need to stay over. And we don't know maybe some day there would be more than us.." I trailed of not wanting to pressure or any expectations on that.

"Oh my. Did you put your appartment on the market? I can not ask you to do that" She was worried again.

"No Bella, I would never do that. It is still a pretty good investment." I explained and added "Lets go home for now, I am hungry for some homemade food!"