5

Chapter 5

* "What is going to happen to Sasuke? Do you really think the village is going to take care of him?" Mikoto asked me as I was setting down everything they needed at a nearby transit town. Per my request they had disguised themselves so not to be recognized.

"The Third Hokage will keep Sasuke safe as long as possible. By now he should have even set Sasuke up comfortably in his own house within the village. The Hokage is also putting him on an allowance with the Uchiha money so he will never be without food, shelter, clothes, or tools. He will live comfortably." I told her as I stretched my arms to the sky before looking up at the blue mass high above us. It was a beautiful day. Too bad it's a weekend I am supposedly sick. It would be a perfect day for training.

"How can you be sure?" She asks again causing me to look at her annoyed.

"How about this. If the Third doesn't take care of your son... I will." Glaring at her a little more harshly then I had expected to I turn away from them. "We will find a way to communicate so you can receive updates on Sasuke and so that when the time comes Sasuke can come to you. Until then. Be safe. Be smart. Be happy." With that I left them watching me as I walk away. I had to get back to the village before Iruka or someone decides to check on me.*

Moving my arm away from my eyes I give a yawn as I stretch enjoying the softness of my bed. Why my dreams were revolving around that day I didn't have the foggiest idea. It's almost like I am dwelling on saving their lives. Of course I had got caught returning home. Stupid Third Hokage decided to check on me at the exact wrong moment. I had to explain to him about how I was restless hearing about the tragic massacre and how my heart was aching for Sasuke. He gave me a knowing look as if he thought I had been through something similar. Which is why my soul was resonating with the young arrogant Uchiha boy before he had relaxed when Aphrodite brought us some tea as she was on her way out to train. He looked solemn. Truly sad that the Uchiha had been annihilated. Which little did he know I knew it was true. He was against the elders every step of the way. He wanted to find a peaceful solution between the village and the great Uchiha clan. He is probably blaming himself right now for the fate of the Uchiha brothers.

"So, what are you planning to do?" He had asked me both yanking me away from my thoughts and startling me at the same time. Did he really know I had planned something? That I'm going to keep to my promise and watch over Sasuke as best I can? No, he said planning, meaning he knew me well enough to know I was going to do something.

"Would it be alright if I said I want to watch over Sasuke? As his family would have? Make sure he is safe and try to make his lonely existence somewhat more.. Bearable?"

The old man gave me a warm smile before leaning back on the couch and bringing his pipe from somewhere in his robes. "My dear, why wouldn't that be okay?"

In that one sentence it felt like a weight had lifted from me. I had almost actually felt... Happy. Since then I've watched Sasuke in school and noticed how he reacts with everyone. At some point I had even emptied my mom's backpack and had begun to watch what I had on the Naruto anime. Aphrodite of course had caught me and taken my ipad away from me. Saying we should use this as a chance to learn and grow rather then constantly knowing beforehand what is going to happen in order to prepare for it. Too bad really, I had wanted to watch more but I had seen the first few episodes more than enough times growing up anyway and that seems to be what I have saved.

As I continued to watch Sasuke I was able to see him sink deeper into his darkness, dwelling on the fact his family was gone and who had taken them from him. The colder he's become the more popular he is too... well with the girls anyway. The only way I could figure to be there for him was as someone to beat. So I've trained every day to better my skills just so that during each practice at school it would seem like I was getting better. Some days I could feel his glares boring into the back of my skull but most of the time I could hear girls talking about me. Saying that I am only trying to show them up to get Sasuke's attention. Which is annoying enough to put up with. And since I put up with their 'private conversations' doesn't mean I have to put up with them trying to bully me. So what if I'm better than them?